Question

Tutor
09jtherrien
Message 1 of 7 (18,496 Views)

laptop screen has bunch of different color lines. Please help!

My laptop screen just screwed up. It was fine the night before and then the next morning when I turned it on, the screen had a bunch of lines obstructing my view of the my login. I could login, but now it seems I can't. I have read other posts that it may be a graphics card problem. I am not sure what the problem is. Please advise. I have a hp dv5-1250us with ATI Radeon HD-3450 graphics with 512MB dedicated video memory. Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks.

Intern
LFMD3
Message 2 of 7 (18,489 Views)

Re: laptop screen has bunch of different color lines. Please help!

Sorry to hear whats going on with your laptop. Boot to the BIOS screen by hitting F10 on start up, if the lines show on the BIOS screen it is indeed a hardware failure with the graphics card... Hope you are in warranty because if you are, your laptop needs to be shipped in for repair. As for the laptop not booting to Windows, you could also run the Primary Hardrive Self Test found on the diagnostic portion of the BIOS. If any errors come up, HDD needs to be replaced. Sorry about the files. Hope they could still be retrieved though...

Hope it helps....

Honor Student
stlouisphile
Message 3 of 7 (18,448 Views)

Thanks for replying. Where do actually find the address to ship your laptop to for repair? My laptop is still under warranty and I would like to ship it in for repair or send it to a local repair center but this site is not user friendly.

Thank you in advance.

stlouisphile

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (18,421 Views)

Chat ,email and phone options here>> Contact HP

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
stlouisphile
Message 5 of 7 (18,395 Views)

Thanks Cheryl!

Tutor
09jtherrien
Message 6 of 7 (18,292 Views)

thanks for replying to my post. I will let you know what is wrong with it. do you know how much graphic cards normally cost.?

Tutor
09jtherrien
Message 7 of 7 (18,219 Views)

The screen is still messed up when i go to the bios screen. and I am pretty sure that i bought it last  year so the warranty for HP might be up.

do u know any decent graphic cards for my laptop?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation