Question

Honor Student
Tech-no
Message 1 of 24 (80,506 Views)

monitor "no input signal"

[ Edited ]

When I turn on the computer and the monitor, the monitor does not recognize a signal from the computer.  I have tried restarting the monitor and the computer, unplugging all cables including the power cables and reconnecting, I re-seated the graphics card, I tried using the VGA cable, but the monitor still seemed to be trying to recognize a DVI connection, even though the VGA cable was plugged in.  Right after I turn on the monitor it says:

VGA input, no input signal
> DVI input, no input signal
   recommended setting, 1680x1050

After about 2 seconds it goes to sleep and that is it.  No mouse clicks or keyboard strikes bring the monitor back.  I know of no way to change any settings, reinstall drivers, etc. , because I cannot get the monitor to work, so I am effectively blind, whenever I want to test something out I have to manually shut down the computer and turn it on again.  I encountered this problem in the past, and after much frustration and unplugging/re-connecting, the problem seemed to magically solve itself, but now it is back and nothing seems to work.  The frustrating part is that it seems random, this started happening a few days ago when I tried turning on my computer.

the computer is a HP Pavillion d4996t, the monitor is HP w2207
Message Edited by Tech-no on 01-20-2009 05:05 PM
Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 24 (80,500 Views)

Re: monitor "no input signal"

The no monitor output means the computer is not posting. It could be a bad video card or even a bad motherboard or a bad power supply. It is pretty normal for it to be intermittent at first and then one day it will not work at all. Time for some step by step troubleshooting. Start by trying another video card.
Honor Student
Tech-no
Message 3 of 24 (80,490 Views)

Should VGA still work since it is not connected to the video card?
Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 24 (80,471 Views)

I am not sure I know what you mean. By "VGA" I assume you are talking about a 9-pin analog monitor (sub-D) connection. Of course it will not work unless it is plugged in to the port on the video card. If you have both onboard video and an add-in video card, the original onboard video port is dead and you have to use the one on the add-in video card. I hope that makes sense.
Honor Student
Tech-no
Message 5 of 24 (80,445 Views)

Neither of them work though...
Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 24 (80,397 Views)

OK so try removing the video card and see if you can boot using the original onboard graphics. If so we have just diagnosed a bad video card.
Top Student
Brewster
Message 7 of 24 (80,389 Views)

Try the simplest thing first.  It should detect and post automatically but try plugging in your D-sub 15 pin and then use function-monitor out keys.  Sounds too simple to work, but you never know.  These **bleep** things are logic-based after all.
Student
suryanshu
Message 8 of 24 (77,077 Views)

[ Edited ]

hi.. i am having the same problem..

I reinserted the RAM, checked the cables a million times but still nothing happens..

The computer was working just fine when suddenly the No Input Signal message came up.

The CPU was working and it did not turn off.. It was just the monitor that went blank..

One more question.. Is it adviasble to use a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor on an ASUS motherboard??

Honor Student
Jynell
Message 9 of 24 (76,401 Views)

This has been a known issue since I got my HP panel screen 5 years ago.  It's been found to be a "bug" rather than a fixable issue as far as reinstallation of video cards and such. 

Honor Student
Jynell
Message 10 of 24 (76,390 Views)

Going to the control panel and turning off the monitor's power saving mode utility fixed this problem for me.  Only four years of putting up with "no input" on an ugly black and white screen before I figured that out! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation