Question

Honor Student
HeyItsFaith
Message 1 of 4 (1,083 Views)

my hp laptop screen is black. when i press the on button.

The lights turn on and the caps lock and scroll lights blink on and off.  i dont know whats wrong but its keeping me from doing my assignments.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (1,080 Views)

Re: my hp laptop screen is black. when i press the on button.

Remove one stick of RAM and boot up, if no success, try the other stick.

Could be video card connection failure. What's the model number ?

Honor Student
HeyItsFaith
Message 3 of 4 (773 Views)

Sorry, but what is "one stick of RAM"? And the model number is dv3-2155mx

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (768 Views)

[ Edited ]

RAM stands for Random Access Memory or memory board. Here are some screen shots on how to remove them.

dv3 RAM.PNG

RAM removal.PNG

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=3884590&MEID=A0A0B1FE-5818-467F-9D83-591F9386389B

Navigate to memory boards in the left column. Let me know if the link does not work, it's from here.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

Remove the top one and try boot with only one, if no success remove the bottom one and replace it with the top one in the bottom slot. The two wooden sticks on the screen shot are used to push the locking tabs aside and the RAM will flip up for removal. Only touch it by the edges and don't touch the contact points.

Also remove the adpater, battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds before removing the RAM.

Make sure you are statically discharged before opening the cover by first grounding your self on a metal part of an electric stove for example.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation