Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

my laptop screen goes black when opened more than 50 degree angle.

i have an hp pavilion dv4-2145dx, windows xp. no changes have been made recently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Might be bad memory.  How old is it?

Test memory with a test in BIOS.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Might be bad memory.  How old is it?

Test memory with a test in BIOS.

HP Recommended

I got the computer new in spring 2010.

os: microsoft windows 7 home premium v 6.1.7600 build 7600

It's bios: insyde f.17 12/10/2009

Installed mem is 4.0gb

Tot Phy 3.75

avail 2.07

tot virtual 7.49

avail virtual 5.54

page file space 3.75

is that what is meant by 'memory test' or is there something I should run?

HP Recommended

yea usually there is a memory test if you boot into BIOS, under tests or diagnostic or something like that, and you run it and if it turns up any errors than you know its a bad stick of ram.

It could be the lcd though, try connecting to another external monitor or tv with vga cable and see if you get a picture.

HP Recommended

Right now, I can open the screen normal with no problems, but if I push it all the way open, it goes black until I push it a little more forward. So, i know hooking up to another monitor would show a good picture.

is there somewhere on the hp website that will step me through the bios test?

Or, does it sound like it is an lcd  issue?

HP Recommended

I don't know but I think the screen goes black when there is no power so faulty ram or a loose cable are my main sucpisions.  

Usually, to run the bios test, as the computer is booting up press F2 or Esc and it should be an option.

HP Recommended

having the same problem with my DV5. HP customer service was absolutely useless since it is out of warranty. Waiting for a callback from a supervisor in the United States who may "actually" speak English and be able to understand the problem. Did you ever get a solution? [legal discussion removed]

HP Recommended

Too late, they have already been sued for selling laptops with faulty displays several years ago.  See Hewlett-Packard Company v. The Superior Court of Santa Clara County.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.