Question

Honor Student
randysam
Message 1 of 3 (894 Views)

my screen flickers randomly on my HP Envy 17 laptop.

My screen flickers randomly on my HP Envy 17 laptop.  It just started happining today.  It isn't doing it now, but it begins without warning.  Windows 7 is installed.  There is no error message and nothing in the logs.  No new hardware or software has been installed. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (886 Views)

Re: my screen flickers randomly on my HP Envy 17 laptop.

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

randysam wrote:

My screen flickers randomly on my HP Envy 17 laptop.  It just started happining today.  It isn't doing it now, but it begins without warning.  Windows 7 is installed.  There is no error message and nothing in the logs.  No new hardware or software has been installed. 

PLease identify your Envy 17 notebook with the complete product name. Look at my signature below and identify your notebook with all of the alphanumeric characters that identify it.

Update the video driver for your notebook. If the problem continues to happen try the following suggestion to troubleshoot the issue.

Connect an external display to your notebook when  the flickers are occurring. Try moving the display then it happens to see if it has any effect.  If only the notebook display flickers with an external display connected, then the problem is isolated to your notebook's LCD display. Use the switchable display feature of the Catylyst Control Center (if your notebook has it) to see if using a different display solution makes the problem stop when the alternate graphics solution is selected. You will need to use the power adapter to switch graphics adapters.

Please post your results here

Kind regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
randysam
Message 3 of 3 (848 Views)

Re: my screen flickers randomly on my HP Envy 17 laptop.

Thank you for your response.  My screen is currently not flickering.  I will try your solution, the next time that it does.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation