Question

Student
BrendanW
Message 1 of 110 (5,971 Views)

nvidia geforce gt 630m code 43

When I tried to update the BIOS for my HP Pavilion Notebook, the Nvidia graphics card suddenly decided to stop working. Whenever I try to access the Nvidia control panel, it says that I'm not using a monitor connected to an Nvidia GPU. Also, when I go to device manager and select the Nvidia graphics card, it says that windows has stopped it because it has dectected problems (in parantheses, it says "code 43"). I don't know what "code 43" is, and I have tried almost EVERYTHING to get it workng again. Please help!

Student
ferrjw
Message 2 of 110 (5,901 Views)

Re: nvidia geforce gt 630m code 43

I am having the same problem.  It doesnt matter if I have an external display connected to HDMI port or if I am just running the internal display.... driving me crazy!!!!

Tutor
JeffColburn
Message 3 of 110 (5,865 Views)

I'm having the same problem. I spent a couple hours with tech support installing every update known to man, uninstalling the GeForce and restarting to get it to reinstall, even doing a complete system reinstall. Nothing worked so they had me ship it back where they replaced the Mother Board and updated the BIOS.

When my Pavilion dv6 arrived the card was fine. Then HP updater installed 5 updates, including the BIOS, and the GeForce is down again. I've done more updates, and a lot of other tricks, but nothing works.

Have Fun,

Jeff

Teacher
CoreyJamesK
Message 4 of 110 (5,850 Views)

Hi Folks,

Just an FYI - I've had the same issue myself multiple times now, and I was able to get it escalated. My laptop is going in so that the engineers can have a look, and try to re-create this issue. 

If you can limp by for a while, do so, but make sure you are backing things up. I will try to remember to update this thread with some answers after we figure out what is going on. 

P.S. - I've already had my motherboard replaced once & spent countless hours with support, running diagnostics, doing OS re-installs, etc.. You don't want to go there if you don't have to. :smileywink:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be careful not to roll back the BIOS. It might make your card work for a short time, but then it will likely become disabled again and the computer will begin acting up like before. (assuming yours are doing what mine has). Should you try an OS re-installation after doing a BIOS rollback you may well wind up with a BSOD that won't let you do anything with your computer. This is where I am right now. I'm getting a message that says "bios not fully acpi compliant". 

Sorry I don't have better news, but at least it's being properly addressed. I will be able let you know what I find out in early January - from the sound of it.

I've sent a link for this thread to the very nice person I spoke with tonight so that support can use it to help diagnose this properly.

Tutor
JeffColburn
Message 5 of 110 (5,843 Views)

After tech support had me install a BIOS upgrade, I too had the "bios not fully acpi compliant" message.

You may be able to fix this by turning on your computer and repeatedly pressing the ESC key. A menu will come up that lets you run diagnostics. One option is to "Roll back the BIOS." I did this, and part way through the rollback a window opened asking if I wanted to restore the computer to an earlier state when it worked. I clicked yes, and in 15 minutes my computer was up and running fine. Not that the tech at HP knew this, after spending an hour on the phone with him. However, the Geforce card is still down.

Have Fun,

Jeff

Teacher
CoreyJamesK
Message 6 of 110 (5,840 Views)

I don't have the option to roll back the BIOS via the Escape key. I may have at one point, but I have far fewer options now than I originally had. Regardless, I paid good money for the Nvidia add-on so I expect it to work. :smileywink:

I see you have a DV6. Mine is actually a DV7T-7000, so this issue would seem to cross over different models.

If your computer is running without the Nvidia card functioning, you might want to check your system error logs. I suspect you will find an ever increasing amount of nastiness, as I did. Just a heads up. I was having complete lockups, corrupt files, and all kinds of weirdness.

I sure hope they can get this figured out. I really need a good, powerful computer. It's already costing me money not having the one I purchased. I shouldn't have been so quick to sell my year old PC. You live and you learn, I suppose. This one is a rather painful lesson at a very bad time of the year.

I'll let you know if I find out anything. Good luck Jeff.

Teacher
CoreyJamesK
Message 7 of 110 (5,729 Views)

Just updating things to let you know I haven't forgotten about this thread.

I still don't know anything, nor do I have my laptop back. I have no idea when I will get it back. The only real info I've received was that the engineers looked at it, found a blue screen, and sent it somewhere else.  Where it is now, or what's going to happen, is not obtainable information on my end. Best *guess* from what I was told on the phone is that it was sent to a different repair area, but it isn't clear what's going on. 

If and when I find out anything I will update this again. 

Tutor
JeffColburn
Message 8 of 110 (5,724 Views)

Sorry to here about your computer being "somewhere."

As I mentioned, I was able to get my computer to work, but not the Nvidiea card. I e-mailed the CEO, who sent it to the HP AMS TCO Escalations Team, 1-877-917-4380. They made half-hearted attempts to contact me by phone (5 rings then hang up at 4:55 pm, 5 minutes before they leave for the day) and e-mail. I received a total of 3 calls and e-mails from 3 different people. They never really did anything as I was never able to reach any of them by phone and there was no response to my e-mails.

I finally called my credit card company for a refund of the price of the Nvidia card. If I can't use it I'm not paying for it. I had a refund in 2 business days. HP can still respond to this, but I have a 7-page document of everythings that's happened, with dates, times and names.

I also received 2 e-mails from HP asking me to fill out evaluations forms on their technical support. I gave them the lowest rating possible, which resulted in another call at 4:55 pm wanting to know more about my complaint. I never was able to talk to anyone.

Needless to say, I tell everyone I know not to buy HP, and I will never buy another HP.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Teacher
CoreyJamesK
Message 9 of 110 (5,723 Views)

That's not very encouraging news. Hopefully your laptop will continue to work ok with the Nvidia card being bad.

Mine was having a lot of problems. 

Intern
Chuck_C12
Message 10 of 110 (5,702 Views)

I have the same problem with my Nvidia GeForce 650M Graphics Card.  It 's been stopped by the OS due to a Code 43 reported by the card .  My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6T-7000 Notebook PC with Windows 7 64 bit Pro OS and Intel i7-3610QM processor.

I received the computer on Dec 5, 2012.  About 2 weeks after that I did some system recommended updates. The next day I noticed an exclamation mark next to the computer icon on a control panel screen.  The exclamation mark had not been there previously.  Clicking on that mark led to discovering that the Nvidia graphic card had been stopped by the operating system due to the card reporting a Code 43 problem.  Clicking on the Nvidia icon to get to the Nvidia settings results in the message that "You are not currently using a display attached an Nvidia GPU". 

My notebook screen still works and I assume it's now being run by the built-in Intel graphics chip on the motherboard.  I can get to the Intel graphics settings and adjust them.  I have noticed no other problems other than the Nvidia graphics card not working.  A check of the system event logs show no difference in number or type of  "events' before and after the graphics problem occurred (but there sure are a large number of events being reported, averaging about 70 a day).  I did run a system recommended repair (didn't tell me  what it did and it didn't help), also tried several things with the driver, roll it back, uninstall, reinstall...  no change, still stopped.  Haven't contacted HP support yet, I don't want to invest that kind of time yet, maybe later...

I wonder how widespread this Nvidia problem is.  With the Intel graphics covering up the problem some users may not even be aware that their Nvidia card isn't working.   I would encourage more forum  users to post here if they also have this problem, maybe that will encourage HP to come up with a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation