Question

Top Student
teacherkit
Message 1 of 13 (2,902 Views)

pavilion dv4 display horizontal flashing lines across the lower screen in taskbar area

Hi, My HP pavilion dv4 notebook [product #fj880av, CND9060VID)] has horizontal flashing red and green lines across the lower screen in the taskbar area.  Video hardware is nvidia geforce 9200m gs.  OS is vista home premium 32 bit.  Bios flashed with newest version F.66. 

Problem started a week after the warranty ran out several years ago and this became my backup computer. Searched these forums before and again recently, and attempted the solutions shown for similar issues others have encountered.  I tried several things to fix this problem at the time (HP refused to fix it), and again recently because my primary computer just crashed. 

SKIP THIS BACKGROUND IF YOU LIKE:  I’m too broke after being laid off and out of work for a long time to buy a new computer, and this display problem makes the computer very difficult to use since everything you want to pull up is usually in this region of the screen.  Have moved the task bar to vertical left for now, but even so these flashing lines at the bottom of the screen give me a headache.

Fixes tried so far included updating nvidia driver, and flashing bios.  Can you please help me get rid of these lines? 

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 13 (2,877 Views)

Re: pavilion dv4 display horizontal flashing lines across the lower screen in taskbar area

Hello Teacherkit,

I understand your laptop is having an issue with red and green lines across the bottom of the screen, is that correct? I will try to help find a solution for this issue.

If possible I would like you to try and hook the laptop up to an external monitor. If same issue occurs on the external monitor then there is a good chance the issue is with the graphics card.

The diagram below shows what the left side of your laptop may look like. You should have 2 video ports the VGA and HDMI, you can use either one to connect to another monitor.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Top Student
teacherkit
Message 3 of 13 (2,868 Views)

Re: pavilion dv4 display horizontal flashing lines across the lower screen in taskbar area

Hello RedRose, Thank you for the diagnostic tip.  I will try it out this week and post the results.  Kudos coming soon.  Best regards, Kit

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 4 of 13 (2,850 Views)

@teacherkit,

Okay I will be monitoring your thread.

Thanks 

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Top Student
teacherkit
Message 5 of 13 (2,841 Views)

Good morning RedRose,

I did as you suggested.  Had to borrow a monitor from a friend this morning (she needs it back right away).  I know her monitor is in 100% good working condition since I saw its screen working properly at her desktop computer before disconnecting it to bring to my place for this test.

When I connected her monitor to the VGA connector on my HP pavilion dv4 the screen was crystal clear with no red and green lines running along the bottom of the screen.  While the screen was perfect on her monitor, the screen on my pavilion dv4 continued to have the red and green lines running along the bottom of the laptop screen.

This is heartbreaking.  I've been a teacher for many years serving the children of our community.  It took me a year to save up for this HP pavilion dv4 before I bought it.  Due to a very bad economy I was laid off and have not been able to find a new job, so I cannot afford to buy a new computer.  This HP pavilion dv4 had only light use when the laptop screen problems started, but the warranty had already run.

Other than the screen issue, which makes it nearly impossible to use this laptop because the flashing red and green lines make me nauseous, the pavilion dv4 works properly. 

As far as I know, the video card for a HP pavilion dv4 is part of the motherboard.  No fix I can perform since I am proficient but not an expert.  Nor can I afford what it would cost to fix it out of warranty since I'm broke.  Teachers don't get paid much even when we have a job.  Imagine what it's like without one.

I really needed this pavilion dv4 to be there for me so I can search for a new job. 

Thanks for suggesting the test that identified the root cause.  I'm at a loss what to do now.

Sincerely, Kit

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 6 of 13 (2,828 Views)

@Teacherkit,

Thank for providing your results.

Generally if the issue doesn’t show it on the external monitor, then the graphics card is performing correctly. The issue could be the possible screen itself, or the screen cable. Because the computer shows that it was customized I'm having a hard time finding the exact specs for it, but if its an LCD screen then the issue might be the inverter.

As you can see there are a hand full of possible causes for this issue. One thing to consider is taking the computer to someone locally and have them take a look at it. Or if you feel comfortable you can break the computer down and check the connection with screen cable, here is the service guide that can help you with the process.

Thanks

Top Student
teacherkit
Message 7 of 13 (2,804 Views)

Hello Red Rose, Where are you?  You said you work at HP, and offered to help.  You said you would be monitoring this thread. 

I have not heard from you.  Can you please follow up to help me?  I did the test you suggested and posted the results in a prior message here.

Please don't abandon me after offering to help.

Thank you, Kit

Top Student
teacherkit
Message 8 of 13 (2,803 Views)

Hi Red Rose,

Sorry, I just found your reply.  However, I was hoping you could offer some kind of help through HP.

I cannot afford to take the actions you mention.  I realize this is not a typical situation, but I don't know what you mean about my HP laptop being customized.  I bought it directly from HP, which shipped it to me in the exact configuration it is in now.

Please let me know if there is some way to have HP stand behind its product.  This machine never left my desk, so it certainly was extremely lightly handled.

Thank you, Kit

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 9 of 13 (2,781 Views)

Teacherkit,

At this point here is what we know, the issue only occurs while using just the LCD screen on the laptop. You tested the laptop on a 100% working external monitor and you mentioned the screen shows great with no lines being shown.

That testing lets us know that the issue is not related to your graphics card. One thing you can do is break the computer down and make sure the cable for the screen has a good connection. The service guide that I provided earlier would help you do that if you feel comfortable. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that you would need to visit  a local technician in your area. You mentioned being out of warranty, but if some type of hardware needs to be replaced you can still check with HP support to see if they can set up a repair.

Thanks

Top Student
teacherkit
Message 10 of 13 (2,757 Views)

Hi Red Rose, Thank you for your information.

I will contact HP support and see if they will schedule a repair.

Thank you, and I will report back once I hear from HP support.

Kind regards, Kit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation