problem: pavilion brightness control F7 F8 not working (9332 Views)
Intern
Intern
Al2
Message 1 of 5 (9,332 Views)

problem: pavilion brightness control F7 F8 not working

Pavilion DV5Z-1200 -- when I plug in the power supply with the lid closed, the F7 and F8 brightness control keys stop working, and the display brightness will not automatically dim when switching to battery power.  The brightness control box in Windows Mobility Center (Windows Key - X) also disappears.  

I have found a workaround: close and open the lid several times until the "New Device" sound is heard.  However, having to operate the lid this often is really annoying given that it has a tendency to slam shut if not held carefully. 

Is there a driver or BIOS update available to fix this issue?  

Honor Student
AhmedHamdy
Message 2 of 5 (9,218 Views)

Re: problem: pavilion brightness control F7 F8 not working

I have the same problem here with me pavilion dv6 1105 , when I shooting down or hibernate always the brightness function key doesn't work (mostly)

and I write a thread here >>>http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1382869

Professor
Charles001
Message 3 of 5 (9,212 Views)

The brightness buttons works through the graphics driver, depending on the version of the graphics driver and settings on the graphics driver, the buttons may seem not working or not as effective.

This usually happens after you update the graphics driver, especially one not from hp web, but directly from the graphics controller vendor.

Goto the graphics driver control panel, try the brightness setting there first. Maybe you will see the button work again, or maybe you will start using the control panel instead.

Bios update, QLB (quick launch buttons) driver update may have an effect on this too.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Student
siteops
Message 4 of 5 (8,525 Views)

thanks, it was the quicklaunch startup that i had unchecked.

Honor Student
babjeesri
Message 5 of 5 (6,169 Views)

I have hp pavilion dv9230us.  I have vista 32 service pack 2 installed.  I loaded all the drivers and software from hp site related to my pc and also do health check.

For some reason it is weird that f7/f8 keys to control brightness nevers works.   dont know where is the problem.  I installed intel chipset and nvidia driver software but still no luck.  tried to uncheck the hp quick launch buttons nothing working.

where do i find hp laptop control key drivers.

Please advice.

thanks,

Opiee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation