Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi,

How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops? Is it via a BIOS setting, or is it through the Catalyst drivers?

Even when this is through Catalyst drivers, is there a way to permanently disable the built-in Intel HD graphics and only use the ATI Radeon HD5430/5450/5470 graphics card?

I'm a bit concerned with Switchable Graphics through the driver, as it requires a custom-built HP driver, eg. I cannot use drivers provided by ATI, which is a bit scary.

Thanks,

Fred

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops? - It is function of BIOS supporting this feature

Is it via a BIOS setting, or is it through the Catalyst drivers? - the Switching is controller by the driver

Even when this is through Catalyst drivers, is there a way to permanently disable the built-in Intel HD graphics and only use the ATI Radeon HD5430/5450/5470 graphics card? - Yes, check below screenshot... but there is ATI-ATI switchable graphics as well, but only on AMD units, for which drivers can be downloaded from ATI directly as well...

configure.png

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

On your screenshot a custom-built HP version of the Catalyst drivers is showed.

If I choose to set my display adapter to "ATI Radeon HD5450" in my BIOS settings, will I be able to install and use the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (not HP drivers) located here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

The release notes say:

"The following notebook graphics products are not supported in this release:

Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets."

The laptop I intend to purchase is a DM4-1070SF. It has a Core i5-430M CPU, and a "switchable" Radeon HD5450. Can I install the latest ATI-provided Catalyst drivers on this laptop, if I enable the Radeon HD5450 through the BIOS?

Thanks,

Fred

HP Recommended

i cant switchable my driver to intel to ati.......

wat can i do.....?

HP Recommended

anhy update on this possibility?

HP Recommended

the bios fix that we are promised should enable switching between dynamic mode and fixed mode.

the dynamic mode will only work with hp's driver which means they still wond support opengel and also it wont support overclocking.

in the fixed mode you have the option to manually switch between the two gpu so this means yes you can perminitly disable the intel card*(see note below). also you will be able to use the latest drivers provided from ati.

in the 61xx models the intel card canot be disabled at any time since the screen is only connected to it. when you choose ati it disables intel card for processing and it works as a mux only

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

So are you saying this won't work because  my machine has the Radeon HD6770m Graphics so the screen has no direct connection to the graphics card?   

HP Recommended

what i am saying is that the bios update will let you force all apps to use the ati card but in fact both gpus will be active. what happens is the ati card does all the processing and puts the results in the intels gpu memory to be rendered on the screen by the intel card

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

read this link to understand ati's muxless switchable grapgics design

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_powerxpress4_asif_rehman_interview/

HP Recommended

How can i switch graphics parmanently to amd radeon 6740m in pavilion g6-1117tx?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.