Question

Tutor
iceman427
Message 1 of 19 (3,292 Views)

screen resolution problem on G62-234DX laptop

The default screen resolution on my G62-234DX laptop has changed to 1280*800, and the correct resolution for my screen, 1366*768, is no longer available.  This moves the screen leftward, leaving a black band about 1 inch wide on the right hand side of the screen.  I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, have removed the old driver and installed the sp48275.exe driver from the HP website, and nothing works.  Very frustrating.

Can you please help me get back to the 1366*768 resolution?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 19 (3,289 Views)

Re: screen resolution problem on G62-234DX laptop

[ Edited ]

Hi,

iceman427 wrote:

The default screen resolution on my G62-234DX laptop has changed to 1280*800, and the correct resolution for my screen, 1366*768, is no longer available.  This moves the screen leftward, leaving a black band about 1 inch wide on the right hand side of the screen.  I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, have removed the old driver and installed the sp48275.exe driver from the HP website, and nothing works.  Very frustrating.

Can you please help me get back to the 1366*768 resolution?

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version?

what were you doing when this happened?

The first thing to do is to connect an external display (then fn+ to see if this is replicated to an external display. 

best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
iceman427
Message 3 of 19 (3,285 Views)

Enrico,

Windows 7 64-bit.

This seemed to correspond with the installation of Symantec antivirus software, though it may have been a coincidence.  I have since removed the Symantec software and the problem persists.

I don't have another monitor to hook up to the laptop.

David

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 19 (3,280 Views)

Hi,

iceman427 wrote:

Enrico,

Windows 7 64-bit.

This seemed to correspond with the installation of Symantec antivirus software, though it may have been a coincidence.  I have since removed the Symantec software and the problem persists.

I don't have another monitor to hook up to the laptop.

David

It was probably not a coincidence.

Did you remove the Symantec software through the use of Symantec's own software removal utility? That is the only way to do it. Otherwise, it remains in the operating system's registry.

To troubleshoot this you will need the use of an external monitor. That step is troubleshooting the laptop video chip. I suggest asking a friend for help in this regards. 

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
iceman427
Message 5 of 19 (3,254 Views)

erico,

I found a monitor to check the driver with, but when I turned on the laptop it was working!  Since I talked to you last, I removed Symantec AV with their uninstall option, not Windows'.  When I tried restarting after removing Symantec several times, it still did not show the right resolution, but shutting down completely seems to have fixed it.  I have shutdown completely and restarted from off several times and it seems to be holding.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!

david

Tutor
iceman427
Message 6 of 19 (3,253 Views)

erico,

Unbelievable, it is not working again, all I did was shutdown again and turn it back on.

Argghhhh!

david

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 19 (3,251 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try a hard reset

remove battery and dc power plug

press and hold power button for > fifteen seconds.

leave the battery off for now, conect DC power  and press the start button.

If it starts up go here to Symantek and use their uninstaller tool if you have not already done it.

Norton products will drive you nuts as Norton is so insiduous in that it installs itself in the registry in a very hardcore manner.  That is great for when it is fighting against attacks but terrible when one tries to remove it.

Best regards,

Erico 

Tutor
iceman427
Message 8 of 19 (3,248 Views)

still doesn't work.

Tutor
iceman427
Message 9 of 19 (3,242 Views)

erico,

did not see the second half of you note, about uninstalling norton.  am doing that now.

david

Tutor
iceman427
Message 10 of 19 (3,217 Views)

Erico,

Okay, still not working.  I also hooked up a 1280 X 1024 monitor and it has no trouble giving the appropriate resolution to the monitor. 

I noticed that it recognizes the display in the notebook as a 'Mobile PC Display'.  I wonder if it thinks it is a smaller display like would come with a smaller, mobile pc computer rather than a larger notebook. 

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation