Question

Tutor
ed1737
Message 1 of 9 (1,596 Views)

some keys on my laptop keyboard do not work I think it is a virus help!!

some keys on my HP laptop do not work I think it is a virus... The device manager shows the keyboard is working properly... Help!!
Tutor
ed1737
Message 2 of 9 (1,590 Views)

Re: some keys on my laptop keyboard do not work I think it is a virus help!!

Hp pavilion laptop dv7-6b78us Windows 7 i7
Tutor
ed1737
Message 3 of 9 (1,582 Views)

Help !!
Tutor
ed1737
Message 4 of 9 (1,578 Views)

any help would be great!! Feel free to send me a linkor a software or keyboard update or upgrade... Thanks!!
Teacher
PHANIKUMARNV
Message 5 of 9 (1,569 Views)

did you check the whether you notebook keyboard is responding in the command prompt if it is working in the command prompt then this can be a problem with the virus or even software issue which can be resolved by performing the recovery of the system.
Tutor
ed1737
Message 6 of 9 (1,564 Views)

I will try to check in the command prompt... So you are saying that if it does not work it is probably just a virus? Remember some keys work but there are a small assortment of keys that do not
Teacher
PHANIKUMARNV
Message 7 of 9 (1,561 Views)

No i was saying that if it works in command prompt then this can be a virus issue which can be resolved by performing the recovery but if it does not work in command prompt its a issue with the keyboard keys it self even a liquid spillage can cause this.
Honor Student
nylp
Message 8 of 9 (1,257 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Working as a technician [Personal Information Removed], I find that in most cases a keyboard that stops responding or some keys dont work is generally a keyboard that went bad and will need to be replaced. On occasion especially if there was a liquid spill on the laptop then it is most likely a motherboard related issue and the motherboard would need servicing or you will need a new motherboard. If you can, remove the keyboards and see if there is any corrosion on the pins where the keyboard plugs into, if there is corrosion then take a tooth brush and some isopropyl alchahol and clean the corrosion, let it set for about an hour to dry and retry the laptop keyboard. Also make sure that there is no residue on the keyboard cable and check for any tears and that it is seated properly.

Hope this heps,

David

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 9 of 9 (1,253 Views)

@ Nylp,

Thank you for sharing that helpful information to the community.

Thank you 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation