Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a DV6-6154NR laptop.  I am running Win7 on it. it has two graphics cards built in.  

Intel and Radeon.  I see how I can switch which program uses the different graphic driver.

I do not see any difference in the display when I switch.

My question is, how can I tell which graphic display is actually being used?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad it works,

can you make this an accepted solution? I will research on the card but cannot promise if I can come up with it .

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Roby,

You typically won't see the benefit of using the Radeon card unless you're running some software that would typically stress the Intel graphics.  This would be CAD or graphically intense games.  When using the Radeon card for graphically intense programs, the display should be richer and smoother.  The utility used to switch cards should report which card is in use.

Thanks

Matty
=========================================================
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can see what driver is being used in the ATI Control panel - you can also assign the GPUS to applications.

If you wish to change it to a Fixed mode where the default is HIgh Perfomance you will need to do a BIOS and graphics update.

See these docs for the instructions.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02731962

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do use that screen to assign the different garphic cards but I do not see any difference on the screen.

How can I verify the change is taking place.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello you can run a utility such as this one to determine which one is in use.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool

Run DirectX Diagnostic Tool

DirectX Diagnostic Tool helps you troubleshoot issues with the DirectX suite of multimedia technologies that come with Windows. If you're having trouble getting game animation or a movie to run properly, you should run DirectX Diagnostic Tool to try to find the source of the problem.

To run DirectX Diagnostic Tool
  • Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button , typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have assigned the Lightroom program to run high performance, which should be the Radeon card.

radeon

I then ran the dxdiag tool.

the following is the results on both monitors:

dxdiag tool

Am I doing something worng or am I not seeing something.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello,

Is this an Open GL based SW? There is a known conflict where it does not run in Dynamic mode.

You can always do a BIOS upgrade and switch into fixed mode in the BIOS.

Please try this and let me know.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02948560

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

That seems to work.

I know you cannot give me an exact figure but how much more power does the Radeon chip set use.

Most of the time I will be using it connected to power.

Also is the Radeon chip set that much different from Intel.  I do not play games on the computer.  I mostly use it for photogaphic work like Light room and Photoshop.

thanks for all you help.

HP Recommended

Glad it works,

can you make this an accepted solution? I will research on the card but cannot promise if I can come up with it .

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

This is my first post so please help!!

I have just aquired a new HP G6-1211ss (bought in Spain) and have spent virtually the whole day trying to fire up the Radeon HD 6470M. 

The problem I´m having is that when I assign the "High Performance" setting to an application in CCC switchable graphics section as soon as I press apply it switches back to "Not Assigned" immediately, with notably poor graphics to follow when running the game(s).   

Attempting to fix this I tryed to set the graphics mode in the bios to "fixed" as mentioned here and in several other forums. This option simply DOES NOT EXIST in the former or updated bios (HP F.41, 11.10.2011),

I´ve downloaded and installed all applicable drivers with no luck.

I chose this particular model for the added graphics power of the AMD discrete gpu but whats the point of it being in there if I can´t use it? I have a big bright red Radeon Graphics sticker next to the keyboard, it seems crazy that it's constantly inactive.

Any advise is appreciated because I've run out of options here people (other than returning the thing all together)

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.