Question

Student
eagle_eye222001
Message 1 of 7 (4,366 Views)

vertical/horizontal white lines

I have an HP Pavilion dv6748us laptop with Windows 7 64-bit.

About a week ago, after the laptop had been on for over an hour, a bunch of small white lines appeared all over the screen and I was unable to do anything.  After about 5-10 seconds it went away.  This happened every other day or so until yesterday when the lines stayed on the screen for over a minute.  I turned off the computer and turned it back on and while I heard the normal sounds of the boot-up process, I saw nothing on the screen and within three seconds the computer turned itself off, and then turned itself back.  After three seconds of nothing, it turned itself off again, and basically kept going in a vicious cycle.  I was able to force it off completely though.

Anyone have an experience such as this or any ideas?  This possibly just a loose wire or am I looking at a dead screen and/or hardware failure?

Thanks.

Student
jmoss10403
Message 2 of 7 (4,353 Views)

Re: vertical/horizontal white lines

i have a dv9535nr and had the same thing happen to me. after a little research it happens a lot to hp laptops. its the motherboard overheating. meaning even if you reinstall windows like hp tells you to it still happens. because of this i am out a $1600 laptop...
Student
Gsuns001
Message 3 of 7 (3,108 Views)

Yes. The same thing happened to me. If I was working on something important like a paper, I got into the habit of making my external monitor my main desktop and the laptop screen my extended desktop. I found that this was only a dislplay problem, as I could still access and use all my files on the external monitor. Closing and opening the lid would work sometimes (after a few tries) and others I had to full on restart the computer. I have yet to find a solution to this and since I can't risk the screen freaking while I take an exam, I have to buy a new laptop even though my dv6700 is only 2.5 years old. Obviously my next computer won't be an hp.

Honor Student
ken48keller
Message 4 of 7 (2,471 Views)

I have a Pavilion g7 with essentially the same problem.  The screen turns white at unpredictable moments (sometimes at startup, other times in the middle of a process).  I will fold up the device and wait a few minutes, reopen it and it will (most times) restart.  I'm going to bring it into a service center because this is a new notebook and it's becoming increasingly irritating.  If you get an answer from HP, I'd like to hear it.

Student
Niva
Message 5 of 7 (888 Views)

Re: horizontal white lines

Hi....

I'm using a HP laptop for the cople of years now and was really good. Now suddenly there is some white horizola lines appearing on the screen. and its look likes these are widen up when i used to. If anyone can advise on the same would be a great help.

Honor Student
KEN1948
Message 6 of 7 (883 Views)

I reported a similar (not identical) problem - see above thread.  My laptop's video board was replaced, which resolved the issue.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 7 of 7 (864 Views)

Hello @Niva,

I understand you are having an issue with white horizontal lines on the screen, is that correct? I will try to assist you with this issue.

I saw you posted this issue about 4 days ago, is your computer still suffering from this issue?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation