Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Ive had my HP Pavillion DV 9000 for more than three years with no issues, but recently Ive had a problem with my graphics card. Im currently using Windows 7 64 bit as my OS and when I updated either my AVAST anitivirus or Windows update, the notebook would restart with a black screen. I can see that the notebook is in working order by connecting an external monitor. I use to fix it by doing a system restore, but now it doesnt even work either. ATM my laptop is in with the computer repair guys but they dont seem to really know what the problem is as they keep telling me that its my onboard screen...sigh...Ive read quite a number of threads concerning the nvidia graphics card issues with the chips but I still cant seem to get a solution to my problem.

Please note that I am from South Africa and would there for appreciate someone giving me a solution that I can process locally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok well im no computer hardware expert, and after trying just about everything the guys replaced the cable connecting the screen and the motherboard and voila! workin' 100%. They phoned me after I had purchased the HP probook 6560b, which im also very happy with and said that everythings good....So my girlfriend scored herself a HP Pavillion dv9000.. 🙂

If you have the same issue as I had, might as well try the cable first.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have similar problem. Please let me know if you find solution. {Personal Information Removed}. I tried with XP only and it doesnt work. Tried with Vista only it doesnt work. I loaded latest nvidia driver it doesnt work. I think it might be the hardware of the Nvidia card (laptop). I'll let you know if I find solution. Thanks, Sam

HP Recommended

The issues you are describing are notorious on the HP DV6, 7 and 9 models.

The LCD is bad. You will need to replace the LCD Screen and you will have a working laptop once again.

If it were a video card issue, you would not be able to plug in an external monitor and see the computer run.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks!

Tim

{Personal Information Removed}

Tim
HP Recommended

If I use win 7 pre, with the windows driver it works fine. Of course I can't select other resolutions. Now external video crashes at the same time with the LCD. If I try to download the Nvidea driver inmediatly goes to blue screen. It that helps any to solve this issue ? thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I see what is going on now.

It sounds like you are downloading the incorrect driver.

Go to nvidia.com and download the correct driver package.

It is a big file, from 40 megs to 150 megs. That will update all the nvidia drivers on your laptop. I had to do this for my wife's dv9000.

This WILL fix your problem.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim
HP Recommended

lol..........thanks........I see light at the end of the tunnel. Please send me name or link.........I tried several libnks from Nvidea. The first thing they say is : GO TO HP FOR A DRIVER....LOL. Nevertheless I tried several drivers from their website...and BOOOM.......blue screen........thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

I'll get you the exact link. Give me a little bit, I am heading out to a meeting and by this time tomorrow, you will have the link.

😄

Tim
HP Recommended

Hi Tim......I'm still waiting for the right mew driver for my HP laptop. Do you think you can help me with this issue ?. My laptop is till dead 😞  thanks, Sam

HP Recommended

Ok well im no computer hardware expert, and after trying just about everything the guys replaced the cable connecting the screen and the motherboard and voila! workin' 100%. They phoned me after I had purchased the HP probook 6560b, which im also very happy with and said that everythings good....So my girlfriend scored herself a HP Pavillion dv9000.. 🙂

If you have the same issue as I had, might as well try the cable first.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.