Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is there a big difference in purchasing the brightview screen on a laptop or the HD anti-glare screen.  Is it significance worth the $150

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There is a HUGE difference between these two 17.3" screens, and I can say unequivocally--and emphatically--that the Full High Definition Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080) is WAY better than the "regular" High Definition Brightview LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900).   I had to learn this the hard way, because there are no "Big Box" retail stores (such as Microcenter or Best Buy) that carry 17.3" HP laptops featuring the upgraded Anti-glare screens.  If they did, it would enable you to compare these two screens side by side.  (The abscence of this particular display is true even in large cities such as Columbus, Ohio.)  I hope I can save you and others from spending thousands of dollars to get both laptops in at the same time, and from driving hundreds of miles trying to figure this all out. 

By the way, I originally posted a very lengthy reply going into technical details and my experience with these two screens, but when I hit "Post" it deleted everything.  If you want, post your question/concern about either of these two screens, and I will try to respond in an expeditious manner.
HP Recommended

Brightview - Glossy finish

Adv :

Bright/crisp colours

Good to use in room without much lighting.

Disadv:

Extremely reflective.

Anti-Glare/Matte - Its matte finish. It has anti reflective coating.

Adv :

Doesnt reflect light, so you get good viewing experience even you ave (sun) lights around.

Disadv :

Video/Image looks COMPARITIVELY dull  (its shows original colour, where as brightview shows enhanced colours)

I prefer Brightview as I mostly use it inside my room - without much light. 

Another thing is in HP - If you go for FullHD 1080p - It doesnt have Brightview display (only Matte finish).

After all its all about personal preference.

HP Recommended

Brightview is definitely better.

Take out any glares and compare the two and the HD would look DULL

HP Recommended

I just found out the hard way after paying $50 to UPGRADE to Full HD, the screen is very DULL.

I have a much cheaper HP laptop with Brightview and it is BRIGHT.

Who would have thought one would want to pay $50 for a dull screen.....

I'm going to try to return my laptop, hopefully I can since I ordered it online.....

HP Recommended

BrightView is 1600X900 resolution and highly reflective (glossy).    The colors are far superior and the screen seems very rich and vibrant.

Full HD is 1920X1080 resolution and not reflective (matte).    However, the colors seem flat and washed out.  

I just returned an HP 17-inch quad core, 6th gen i7 6700HQ notebook because I could not get accustomed to the Full HD matte screen which was the only choice for that particular laptop, even with customization.

I have used two HP 17-inch laptops with the BrightView displays for the past eight years and I will not settle for the washed out matte display on a $1500+ laptop.

Why HP will not ship a glossy, BrightView-style, reflective display in HD is simply beyond me.   

Not everyone wants a matte finish.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.