Question

Tutor
Silver_Surfer
Message 1 of 13 (93,314 Views)
Accepted Solution

Best gaming laptop out there?

Hi, is anyone aware of the best gaming laptop that I can find at the moment? The price is not really an issue at this point, I just want to see what is out there. Thanks!

Master's Graduate
muka3D
Message 2 of 13 (93,307 Views)

Re: Best gaming laptop out there?

Hey Silver_Surfer, take a look at the Envy 17: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/ENVY17_series/3/computer_store

It can be configured with a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 8GBs of DDR3 RAM, an SSD, and a 1GB Radeon 5850 graphics card. So, it's great for gaming!

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
Intern
Brantley
Message 3 of 13 (93,278 Views)

I agree with mukee. The HP Envy 17 is probably your best bet. I just got the HP Envy 14 and I'm blown away by it. It doesn't have the same graphics card but it is plenty fast enough. I got the i5-520m because I preferred  to have switchable graphics so it can be used while on the go before goign dead in like 5 minutes. The i5 is plenty fast. The graphics card matters the most if your gaming. If you want a portable gaiming laptop that can be used for other things also, get the Envy 14. I am able to play all of my games like Napoleon Total War or Company of Heros on Ultra settings. The 5650 also supports the new Direct X11 games so it's the best of both worlds. If you do get it, be sure to update the bios on the support page. Mine was running a little hot but after updating it manages heat much better.

HP Envy 14 i5-520m 2.93 Ghz, ATI Moblity 5650 1Gb, 6 Gb memory, 320 Gb harddrive, 1600 x 900
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 13 (93,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

Forget HP. They all have inadequate fan and heat sink designs for heavy gaming.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=X8100&subpage=spec#gotop

This has three fans, two of which are dedicated to the CPU and GPU, one for each. The laptop is designed specifically for gaming.

This laptop's specs. blows any thing that HP has out of the water.

Student
johnceberhardt
Message 5 of 13 (78,502 Views)

Have they addressed the heatsink problems on their new laptops or do they still run all the heat across the video gpu and cpu? My last one died after two years (and that was with a cooler pad running under it). It now runs for about 5 minutes and dies. I'd like to buy a new one that will last a few years. 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 13 (78,011 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's unlikely HP will change the designs of their laptops, so the answer is no. For serious gaming, HP laptops are not adequate. :smileysad:

Consider a Toshiba Qosmio if you can't afford one from the ProStar web sight.

Generally a good gaming machine will be thick and have at least 2 cooling fans, one for the GPU and the other for the CPU.

No HP laptops fit that description.

If your laptop is only running for 5 minutes it may need a good cleaning and some decent thermal grease. The thermal pads may need replacing to if they're not soft and spongy.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=7

Tutor
balkeet
Message 7 of 13 (74,976 Views)

is xps 15 a good gaming laptop?
Top Student
Marketpantry
Message 8 of 13 (74,973 Views)

I returned my hp laptop because it had so many issues. you can get an asus g53sw xa1 on amazon for 899 shipped. some of them have  a wierd issue, my first ne did, but they shipped me out a second one and i got it next day anfd it works great. it comes with 1920x1080 15,6 in screen by default, a 460m 1.5 gig graphics card (not the best, but moe than decent), and an i72630qm (2ghz turbo 2.9ghz), 8 gigs of ram, and a 500gb 7200rpm hard drive.

Top Student
Marketpantry
Message 9 of 13 (74,970 Views)

also it has a 1 year accidental damage warranty by default

Honor Student
MrCustomer
Message 10 of 13 (30,360 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation