Re: Envy 17 overheating is bothering me!!!!! (optional solution) (11775 Views)
Top Student
Weezykid
Message 71 of 205 (12,150 Views)

Re: Envy 17 overheating is bothering me!!!!!

Well I have an update...  After looking at my laptop very closely I see almost no dust or lint in the vents except for a small amount on the CPU fan fanblades.  I could not see in the GPU vents enough to tell if there was anything on the fan, but the vents looked clear.

I purchased the CRC canned air from Lowes hoping it may be a but stronger than others I tried.  Sprayed this in all of my vents, openings, connectors, etc and sa no dust come from anywhere.   The only difference I saw is the CPU was a little cleaner.

To may amazement, the PC now runs cool.  I have not taken exterior temps yet, but I can now type on the PC without my hand being too hot.  My onboard core temps have dropped for the first few days, but I want to wait a little longer for a conclusion.

So I am thinking that HP possibly has not used a strong enough fan in this model?  In our work environments I have seen completely pplugged vents on desktops, yet cool temps.  And yet all of my vents were clear and I ran hot.  

HP, maybe look into a stronger fan for this model that modves more air with more power??

Top Student
Vondrac
Message 72 of 205 (12,150 Views)

I the Cooler Master with the 3 movable fans. I place all three on the left side of the stand so they concentrate the air flow where all the heat is.

Also, use the larger battery, it helps life up the back of the laptop some and gives added airflow.

The turnaround time on my repair was less than 1 week.  Call their concierge (sp) serverice and request a box & RMA and they FedEx it to you like next day or two. Took a day or so to get there, a couple to fix and it was back to me by the 7th or 8th day.

Everything has been fine for the last 8 weeks or so. No over heats. 

I did get a message about buying the extended warranty, apparently you can still do that if the current one hasn't expired. Might want to look into that too.

Honor Student
TheSafehouse
Message 73 of 205 (12,043 Views)

Intern
sdw10
Message 74 of 205 (11,955 Views)

My overheating shutdowns have started 2 days after my warranty expired.

It gets so hot, nearly 100C that it burns skin.

Intern
sdw10
Message 75 of 205 (11,953 Views)

HP Support Folks, what's the solution?

Model 1050ea

Running a spreadsheet only, cool room, flat desktop, fan running all the time, all vents clear and dust free.

97-100 degrees celsius, two shutdowns. And it *does* burn skin.

Thanks and regards

Honor Student
lurvig
Message 76 of 205 (11,805 Views)

I know its an old thread. Anyway, i had some real issues with my first Envy, had to return it. Over 90 degrees C. The fan has disturbed me very much lately and I start to google. 

Doing my own power schedule didnt work for me at all. I barely could move cursor or opened program with the speed I was use to. I have an SSD disk (amazing speed!). I have a 17,3 inch Envy with 8 gb ram. 

Remove Ati Catalyst program, restart. Then let windows do the installation of the graphic card. It installs again the ATI Catalyst program.

I found out that I could changes settings in ATI  Catalyst program. Disable powerplay and I got a decrease of 10 degres! Worked great for my fans. GPU clock is on 60 C. 

My computer has never been so silence!!! I almost cant hear the fans now. Freaking awesome!

Honor Student
LetzeProdukt
Message 77 of 205 (11,775 Views)

Re: Envy 17 overheating is bothering me!!!!! (optional solution)

I purchased the Envy 17 1011nr in 2010 thing had always been a heat monster, I was reading 52c (125f) on the hand rest to the left of the touch pad.

Normally when I tried playing games with it the GPU and CPU would reach temps of around 84c after a gaming session and that's with the laptop on a cooling pad.

Since my warranty expired back in September. I decided it was time to crack it open and rethermal the laptop, most OEM's are known to use a cheaper compound to save money and on high end laptops the consumer suffers with heat issues.

Since my warranty expired I figured if I used my favorite thermal compund I use for my desktops Arctic Silver 5 that I might atleast improve my heat situation with the laptop. I dont have any pictures of the dissasembly or application of the thermal compund but I can tell you what happened as a result of rethermalling the laptop. I will say however that the compund HP used from the factory was dried out crusty and making poor contact with the heatsink. 

After the rethermal my Idle temps stay under 50c for both the GPU and CPU, and full load (Id's Rage was played for an hour to get it nice and warm) It never hit above 66c... that's a difference of 18c! 

That's not the best part the area to the left of the touchpad which when checked by an IR thermometer was hitting 52c or (125f!) well so far after the rethermal the hand rest is staying at a reasonable 33c (92f) which is a whole 19c cooler! Since 33c or 92f is slightly cooler than body temperature its so much more bearable!

If you're interested in having your older Envy 17 Rethermaled I'd suggest if you have little experience dissasembling laptops take it to some one who does have experience, NEVER take it to a big box store.  Consider a local computer shop, check reviews online and see if there is a small shop near you that provides laptop rethermaling. The local shop in my area charges about $40 for this service but they typically use a lower end compound unless you buy/bring in a higher grade compound. The small tubes that can do about 5 laptops worth only cost about $5-7. 

The compund I used is Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound. It's a popular old standby used by overclockers and gaming system builders.

Dont think I'm working for them, here's a review of some compunds availible on the market this link is specifically for the top tier of compunds lower temp = better just about any of these with an A-, A or A+  grade is worth using.  

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitsta...

Figured I'd let people know since my results have saved me quite a bit of money and improved the lifespan of my laptop. 

Honor Student
Fenris
Message 78 of 205 (11,546 Views)

There are three things that I think that HP should add to their service program for the HP Envy 17, and that is for the first a back plate with more venting holes and an internal dust filter, the dust filter should be tuff enough, so we can clean it with a vacuum cleaner from the outside, with low vacuum level it’s better than no dust filter at all. The new back plate could maybe be made so it also suited the larger battery that people use more than the small one.

Secondly I think that there are a problem with the internal cooling solution for the CPU and GPU, because it’s not cooling the 1 GB GDDR RAM for the GPU, and they can reach high temperatures if not cooled properly in the tight space of the laptop. HP should add a new cooling solution to their service program for the HP Envy 17 as well in my opinion. Of course it’s best in combination with the before mentioned back plate, with better venting and dust filter.

In combination with the above suggested back plate with better venting and better cooling solution for CPU, GPU and GDDR RAM, I would strongly suggest that HP release a new BIOS upgrade, that will give the HD 5850 Mobility a better chance to adjust its work power regarding the demands. By that I mean that sometimes You don’t need more than 400 MHz core and 800 MHz RAM at 0.85 voltage, but at other times You need 600 MHz core and 1000 MHz RAM at 0.95 Voltage. So why “cripple” the machine to only adjust the core and RAM but not the voltage from like 0.80, 0.85, 0.90 (default), 0.95 and 1.00 Volt ? This suggestion should of course only be considered if HP have implemented the above suggested back plate and cooling solution to their service program for the HP Envy 17.

The three above mentioned suggestions is of course for any of the HP Envy 17 versions, that got heat problems, in my opinion there are not the big difference if the laptop can show 3D movies or not. The big issue is how and where people use their HP Envy 17. No laptop are made to work properly if all venting (in/out) holes are blocked by a pillow or filled with cat hair.

To understand my point of view, I have bought my HP Envy 17 (1090eo) in Denmark in 4Q 2010 for 15.000 DKr., that is roughly $3000 ! I only had the opportunity to get a version with 720QM, two 500 Gb HDD, and a 1920x1080 screen, 8 Gb 1333 MHz DDR RAM. No 3D version was available before 2Q 2011 in Denmark. I have “upgrade” with a solution where I have taken out the two 500 Gb HDD and installed them in a external HDD chassis Silverstone DS221 in RAID 0 connected with eSATA. Internal I installed an OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2 E and a WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB. For cooling I’m using a Zalman NC-3000U Notebook Cooler and Thermaltake 12CM AF0007 USB 120 mm Cooling Fan, at the blowout vent on the left side. Clean install of MS Win 7 Ultima. The HP is a desktop replacement, where I use a keyboard, mouse and a 23” LCD with a 1920x1080 resolution.

I would love to upgrade my HP Envy 17 with a 840QM, but as long as HP “cripples” the HD 5850M and don’t give us the possibility to get better venting and cooling solutions I rather spend my money on another laptop like an ASUS, where I get a lot better value for my money and great support and service. Most games today are made for both PC and consol marketing, so they are mostly made for 5 year old consol’s and “optimized” for PC, so there are no need to have a super PC for games. Therefore it’s just sad that I have to think about buying a new laptop after spending $3000 less than two years ago, when HP could just implement better venting/cooling solutions and a more flexible BIOS and thereby unchain the power of our HP Envy 17 (3D).

Honor Student
lurvig
Message 79 of 205 (11,335 Views)

I did what you said, rethermal the cpu. No heat on left side of keyboard. GPU dont over 66 c. But the cpu according to Core Temp goes up to over 90 c when I do a full virus scan with F-secure?  In idle the cpu shows 45-49 celcius.

I must have done something wrong with the rethermal thing? Please advice, it was hell to get the motherboard and keyboard off... 

Top Student
Tradition2
Message 80 of 205 (11,274 Views)

I have an Hp dv7 4152si for about an year now witch has the same motherboard as the envy and the same overheating poblem how i solve it its not the GPU or the CPU who overheats and yes the motherboard it self so i bought i cheap coolin fan for the motherboard and clean my fan every month as long as you keep the fan clean with pressurised air and have a fan or ever just something to lift the back of the pc up it keeps arround 65 - 70 deegrees while plaing skyring and stuff like that

so thats how i manage to solve it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation