Question

Tutor
inorange
Message 1 of 5 (7,637 Views)

How to transfer data from one PC to another?

i recently purchased a HP HPE H8z Desktop Computer, it sports a 1.5TB Hard Drive and 10GB of RAM. A Massive step-up from my old HP Pavilion dv6-2157wm laptop with a 320GB and 8GB of RAM.

So, here is my question. Is there a way that I can transfer some files over from my Dv6 Laptop onto my HDE Desktop? Anyway without an external Hard Drive or anything like that? Nothing Fancy, just a folder or two, some photos, music Files, and some documents without damaging them in the process? I can easily reinstall my Anti-virus and a few games later, so I'm not too worried about them.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (7,634 Views)

Re: How to transfer data from one PC to another?

Hi,

There are many options around and I've done 3 of those

1. Using LAN cables (CAT5 or CAT6) thru router. I also used crossover cable once

2. Using wireless home Network

3. Using USB transfer cable (I did this when moving data from XP to Vista)

For 3, the setup was very simple, plug the cable and it asked for drive from the CD and up we go. For 1 & 2: same principle: allow the both machines in the same network and allow desktop to copy data from the laptop. Much easier if they are both running Windows 7, just follow these tips.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
tmen
Message 3 of 5 (7,483 Views)

You can use the Windws Easy Transfer in order to transfer your files from your old laptop to your new laptop. Windows Easy transfer allows you to save all your data in standard locations but you can also select custom folders and directories through LAN or USB port.

For your situation you can use the LAN mode but you need to find the compatibility for your situation for example if your old laptop is running in Windows XP and you are transferring it files to Windows Vista then you need to install this Windows Easy Transfer 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4503

I found this website which includes the other lsiting for the downloads.

http://darktips.com/transfer-data-from-one-pc-to-another/

Student
webconsultant
Message 4 of 5 (7,431 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am using usb port to transfer files from one computer to one another.

Hope it helps!

Honor Student
youhin
Message 5 of 5 (7,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

wow thanks Tmen thats a woderfull news i better try out the website :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation