Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4003dx
Other

Hi, 

I have been having a problem with my Spectre laptop ever since I got it(a week ago). Whenever I play games such as Unreal Tournament or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, my character sometimes gets "stuck" going forward or to the left. In the UT tutorial where it shows the buttons that you press, it shows that the when it is "stuck" going forward like that, the W key is being pressed, even though I am not pressing it. I have disabled all sticky keys, filter keys and all that stuff as well as set my keyboard repeat rate and delay settings to high as suggested by other forums; However, I am still getting this problem. Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this? For reference, I am running Windows 10. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi there @Studes1

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your character gets stuck going forward sometimes, in certain games and I am happy to help.

Since you bought the computer a week ago, I assume that it originally had Windows 8.1 installed and you upgraded.  Did this issue also occur in Windows 8.1, or was it first noticed in Windows 10?

Is this only happening in those games, or have you had erratic keyboard behavior happen in regular applications as well? If it is only happenning in those games then it may be a game specific setting that could be adjusted, for that I would suggest the game forums.

If you have a sticky key issue, in all applications and considering what you have already tried, then I would suggest you use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with my spectre which is just over 2 weeks old -  from checking online this seems to be a common issue with the spectre - 

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue with my windows 10 laptop. Came perinstalled with Windows 10. I appologize if there is a solution somewhere else on the site that I am not able to find. I am having this problem only in gaming, and it is not a game setting as I have not incountered it while playing on other devices and no one I play with has encountered the same issue. Sticky keys is not turned on either.

The way to "unstick" the key is to press it again, but this solution only lasts until the problem arises again (usually happens every minute or so)

Thank you,

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Anyone can help?

HP Recommended
Discovered this problem within a few hours of buying the Spectre. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
HP Recommended

Same Issue with my Pavilion 15-ab000 CTO (Intel i7-5500U, GeForce 940M, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD).

The Issue only ever presents itself during game play, and the game being playing has absolutely no bearing on the issue, as I have noticed it occuring in Terraria, Don't Starve, Risk of Rain, and Star Wars Battlefront II. I suspect that this issue is specific to HP Laptops as I have played all of the above games on my toshiba (SATELLITE L655-S5117, running windows 7 and later upgraded to 10) and HP desktop (Win10) without any problems.

Sticky keys is turned off and Windows is not allowed to cut turn off the keyboard to save power. I have also tried to uninstall/ reinstall the keyboard drivers without any luck.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my 1 week old HP Pavillion 17 

Serialnumber E8Q79EA#ABH

Any resolution on this?

HP Recommended

No Resolution yet? Come on hp you have no gamers in house to reproduce this issue. You make gaming laptops so you must have testers for them. load up a couple fps shooters and some side scrollers and you will see what we mean. Really sucks in farcry 4 to fall off the towers because the keys sticking usally its only the wasd keys too. Please help we buy thes laptops to play games and when we play them they ruin the experince it makes us sad and we have to jump through hoops to return them to get another brand laptop that cost way more than we want to spend. Please help us

HP Recommended

Right?! I have died many a times simply because the keyboard decided to takeover...

I have seen the keysticking it in a few of the other keys zxcv (while playing Risk of Rain)

Its really odd too, as I have tried switching windows to MS Word when the sticking occured to see if it was a hardware malfunction (which by definition would be covered by the laptops warranty, as a defect of manufacturing and thus grounds for a refund or replacement), as hardware should have continued to spam the key regardless of the active program, and I got nothing.

Unfortunately I don't think that HP cares too much, this thread is over a year old and only once has anyone from HP commented and only to give the generic "is sticky keys enabled?". They've already got your money, and chances are by the time you're discovered this issue your out of your 30-day return window and closing in on the end of your warranty...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.