Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-ay013nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey Guys and Gals!  I just received my new laptop today, but the fn+F1-12 keys aren't working.  The FN key works, because chrome is registering it as opening it's own help page when fn+f1 is pressed, but volume does nothing, airplane mode does nothing, etc.  I've looked at the HP Drivers download site, and can't find anything.  The help software doesn't find any software missing.  Does anyone know where to download the software or enable the fn key?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

What happens if you set the fn key option in the bios to Disabled?

Normally this setting would mean that just pressing f1 - f12 would perform the secondary function  ( ie f1 for Help, f11 browser full screen etc ), while the primary functions would require that the fn key is held down ( ie fn+f4 to show display output options, fn+f6 to Mute the volume etc ).

Does it now behave in this way or does the bios setting have no effect?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the HP System Event installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75728.exe

When done, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75505.exe

When the Chipset reinstallation has completed, do not restart as prompted, instead open your Download folder, right click the HP System Event installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

When this has completed, shutdown the notebook.

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hey David,

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately these steps did not work.  I also made sure the fn keys are enabled in bios.  Anything else I could try?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

What happens if you set the fn key option in the bios to Disabled?

Normally this setting would mean that just pressing f1 - f12 would perform the secondary function  ( ie f1 for Help, f11 browser full screen etc ), while the primary functions would require that the fn key is held down ( ie fn+f4 to show display output options, fn+f6 to Mute the volume etc ).

Does it now behave in this way or does the bios setting have no effect?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hey David,

I don't want to think about why this is, but turning off the FN key setting in BIOS does allow the FN key combos to work in Windows!  Thank you so much for saving my sanity!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.