Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Pavillion 15 n020ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have HP Pavillion n020ax with Windows 10 64 bit installed.. On my internal keyboard some keys are not working..e.g. 2 W S X.. These key works fine when extenal  USB logitech keyboard plugged.. I saw on other topics that it is a virus, but in my case it is not.. scanned with antiviruses and malware removers.. can it be solved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey!

If you have uninstalled all of the devices, unplugged all devices, cleaned out any dirt from the keyboard and still having an issue, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately to see if you may need to replace the keyboard. 

I hope that this helps! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @kulankit97, 

I understand that you are having an issue with some of the keys on your HP Pavilion 15-n020ax Notebook PC.

You had mentioned that the 2, W, S, and X keys are not working but an external keyboard works fine. 

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tried Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset?

Have you done a hardware test?

Have you updated all of your drivers? 

Please try the follow troubleshooting steps to see if this resolves the situation:  

• Start
  • Search for Device Manager
  • Open Device Manager from the Search results.
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards.
  • Right-click the keyboard device name.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook twice. 
  • Try the keys to see if they work. 

I found a troubleshooting document for you to try also called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. Please make sure to follow the steps in this document. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers that need updating.

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about. When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you! Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and answers to the questions above. 

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Hope these steps help!

Looking forward to your reply. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

First of all, Thanks for your response..

I did a few things as per suggetions..

1) I tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there.. But unfortunately the problem was stil there in safe mode..

2) I tried Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset as you suggested.. But still problem is there..

3)I have done a hardware test with buit in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.. But no use..

4) I already have updated drivers for windows 10..

Just atttaching a screenshot of Device Manager..

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Next thing you mentioed that - follow troubleshooting steps to see if this resolves the situation.. I did it but no use..

Attaching a screenshot (again)..

New Bitmap Image (2).jpg

In Keyboards section I have 5 devices installed.. Should I uninstall all of them?

I gone through the troubleshooting guide also but it is not useful in my condition..

I have already installed HP Support Assistant.. It is very useful but in my case it cant help..

P.S - I actually want to tell you that I have enabled Power On Password in BIOS menu.. and the keys dosent even work for typing the power on password... 

Now tell me what to do..:smileyfrustrated:

Looking forward to your reply..

HP Recommended

Hi there! 

I read your post and looked at the screenshots. Yes, please uninstall all of the devices listed under keyboards and then restart your Notebook twice. 

It looks like everything is working properly otherwise. I don't see any red x's or exclamation marks in the device manager screenshots that you had provided. 

Please let me know if the steps above resolve the issue for you. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I followed your instructions and deleted all drivers in keyboard section, and rebooted twice, But still the keys are not working properly..

Now what to do?

Awaiting for your reply..

HP Recommended

Hey!

If you have uninstalled all of the devices, unplugged all devices, cleaned out any dirt from the keyboard and still having an issue, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately to see if you may need to replace the keyboard. 

I hope that this helps! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I struggled with this same ptoblem on my HP Chromebook. What worked for me was removing the keyboard and first removing then reconnecting the the keyboard tracking ribbon to the circuit board.

HP Recommended

Aligning the ribbon is the only way to correct those specific keys. If there is another fix I would love to have it. Thanks,

God bless

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.