Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv7 NB231UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Recieved fatal blue screen. .. took laptop into Bestbuy for repairs and was told motherboard was defective and my laptop purchased in 2011 is obsolete! What!   Possible referral to someone who might have an "old" one where spare parts may be obtained?  If anyone can recommend a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You might have purchased it in 2011 but it was introduced to the market in 2009 so is now 7 years old and laptop years are even shorter than dog years. 

You can exchange the motherboard for one fully restored here on eBay for $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV7-1245dx-DV7-1135nr-DV7-1130US-506124-001-Motherboard-Exchange...

You can also buy a semi-working "scratch and dent" model for about $140 and combine it and yours into one fully working machine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV7-1245DX-17-Laptop-4GB-RAM-Motherboard-506124-001-DV7-1000-474...

Post back if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You might have purchased it in 2011 but it was introduced to the market in 2009 so is now 7 years old and laptop years are even shorter than dog years. 

You can exchange the motherboard for one fully restored here on eBay for $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV7-1245dx-DV7-1135nr-DV7-1130US-506124-001-Motherboard-Exchange...

You can also buy a semi-working "scratch and dent" model for about $140 and combine it and yours into one fully working machine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV7-1245DX-17-Laptop-4GB-RAM-Motherboard-506124-001-DV7-1000-474...

Post back if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi @kimiBkimi,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you were getting fatal blue screen error so you took your notebook to Best Buy for repairs. They advised you that it was a motherboard problem and that your notebook was obsolete.

To verify the information they provided here are links for you to look at and do some troubleshooting. 

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista).

Should you determine that it is the motherboard, I was able to locate the part number for it. You could try to do a web search to locate one. I was able to get the part number from HP Part Surfer. To use it, I did need to choose a country so I picked the United States. This was the resulting page. Part Surfer results. You will note the part number for the motherboard is 506124-001. If that was not the correct  choice of country, please change it to the correct one and search again as it may vary.

Hope this helped.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

@Sparkles1  Partsurfer is showing the board no longer supplied. I think the OP is looking for a lower-dollar option than a full-priced replacement motherboard through regular channels. 

HP Recommended

Thank you @sparkles! I have done all you recommended  except ordering a new motherboard.  One question though... checked on ebay... and found motherboard in model number you and partsurfer suggested. My laptop has a 17in diagonal measured display. Is there a difference in motherboards using the same model number and display size? Just wanted to be sure before ordering if there was a difference in size or even if it made a difference.  I ask only because I saw on ebay the same model but suggested it was for a 17in display dv7. Again thank you for your prompt response @sparkles. 

HP Recommended

HI @kimiBkimi,

Thank you for your reply!

As the model and part number are the same, the display being a 17" should not matter. To assist you with doing the replacement, if you search the web, you may find additional help.(videos or instructions).

Best of Luck!

If you feel I addressed your query, please consider marking the post that resolved it as "Accepted Solution" to aid others who may also have the same issue. To say thanks for helping, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon".

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I think by definition all dv7s have a 17 inch display. If your laptop has a smaller display something is wrong. 

HP Recommended

Again thank you for your assisstance. Your advice has been most helpful (Huffer/Provost).  Searched eBay and found several motherboards, just wanted to be sure, if possible, I was looking at suitable replacement options.  

HP Recommended

Happy to help you vet the options but in general, with the manual, if the motherboard part number matches one of the options for your model in the manual, you can install it physically. Need to be careful about compatibility of peripherals you will transfer over to the new motherboard. memory and wireless card will work fine but heatsinks can be different for dual vs. quad core and then you have to think about how you will reactivate Windows. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.