Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Maybe this will clarify the situation mentioned in this thread

The HP EliteBook Folio 9470m was developed as the first commercial Ultrabook and the chipset in this model (last product devloped to support Windows XP, btw) supports 2 video streams, one digital and one analog. The first generation (2012) Ultraslim dock developed at the time only had a single displayport port and a single vga port.

The next generation chipset used on the Intel Haswell laptops (840 g1, 9480m, etc.) supports 3 video streams, 2 displayports and 1 analog vga port. At the same time, and to enable 3 video outs on the ultraslim dock, HP updated the Ultraslim dock (2013 generation) by adding a 2nd dp port. The 9470m, although works fine with the new version of the dock, is still only capable of supporting 2 independent ports, one dp and one vga

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

This is by far the most comprehensive answer up to now.

It's still a bit irritating that the 9470m model indeed seems to support 2 digital video streams as it works when using the DP port on the docking station and the DP port on the laptop in parallel. So 2 external screens connected digitally via displayport connector. Of course this setup does not include a 3-screen setup using the laptop built-in screen as well.

Anyway it seems to be bound to hardware limitations on 9470m laptop and cannot be fixed in software.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

We recently aquiered several 9480m and are experiencing the same issue on all of them.

It was my understanding that this model uses the new chipset and should not be affected by this issue.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You can display 2 monitors using the docking station but you can't use both display ports to do it.  You use one display port for one monitor and purchase a USB to Display Port external video card for the second monitor.  I've been using this set up with 2 HP ZR2440w monitors for almost 2 years now.  The only issue with this setup is that it maxes out the video bandwidth on the USB port so you get some display issues with the external video card if you have too many pages displayed.

HP Recommended

People,

I'm now using HP Folio Ultrabook 9470m featuring 1 DisplayPort connectors and a VGA connector.

Somehow I cannot use those two conentors to my external display ?

Here's the error report from Windows 8.1:

3Mon.JPG

is there any solution to make my second external monitor works ?

Thank you for choosing and using HP product and services.
HP Recommended

The Folio 9470m does indeed support three video steams.

I have tested it using a single display port / vga port / internal monitor.

When I hooked up a second display port monitor to the side of the laptop, it disabled one of the other displays. You can re-enable a different one, but then one of the 4th ones gets disabled.

I guess I am OK with plugging and unplugging the side display port cable when I dock/undock. It just would have been nice to be able to have them all plugged in all the time and just grab my notebook and run.

I also noted that whichever two display port displays on the dock, get cloned and recognized as a single monitor.

Here is where it gets weird. I am able to do a triple display using a dock display port, dock vga, and right side laptop display port without flaw (internal display off/laptop closed). This same configuration works on the older version of the dock that only has a single display port on the rear. So it seems more like the dock INPUT  treats the display port as a single port, that acts as a hub to two outputs (this is actually a thing to connect multiple monitors to a single DP++ connection), and the 9470m doesn't accept this configuration.

HP Recommended

There are several problems with the displayports at the docking station. Maybe you should try to update the dockingstation firmware to 2.30. I'm not sure, if there is an official link.

But I can provide you the ftp link hp gave me:

ftp://com16apr:$TZ4gy+Q@ftp.usa.hp.com

You need to download the "TeslaUpdater-7.61.zip" and "Synaptics2.28&2.30.000.zip". Unzip both folders, start  "TeslaUpdater.exe", choose the firmware file from 2.30 and follow the instructions.

As far as I know, you need a monitor connected with displayport during the firmware update.

Please let me know, if the firmware update was helpfull.

HP Recommended

HP changed the password for the ftp download. So I uploaded the files to dropbox: "TeslaUpdater-7.61" and "tesla_firmware_hp_Ver2_30_000.zip".

Unzip the folders, start  "TeslaUpdater.exe", choose the firmware file "tesla_firmware_hp_Ver2_30_000.eeprom" and follow the instructions.

As far as I know, you need a monitor connected with displayport during the firmware update.

HP Recommended

Thanks.
I confirm it works. The updating of the monitor must be connected.
Precise instructions in the link SP74203

HP 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station – Version 2.24.000 DP Hub firmware update instructions

1. Connect a DP monitor (or VGA monitor with DP-to-VGA adapter) to either DP port on the docking station. Attach the power supply to the dock.
  2. Connect (dock) the notebook to the docking station, and boot the unit to Windows (7 or 8).
  3. In Windows, enable the external monitor, by right clicking on the desktop and selecting “Screen Resolution”. Extend the display to the external monitor.
  4. Double click the “UpdateTool_DPHub_HP_ver2_24.exe” tool to run the executable
  5. Verify that the update is in progress:
    1. WARNING, do not disconnect the monitor or undock the unit during this time, or the DP ports could become unusable. It is also recommended to leave the display settings alone, or the update will not be successful.
  6. Once the update is completed, the user will be notified if it was successful:
  7. Click on the exit button. Then undock the unit from the docking station, and re-dock to load the new firmware version.
  8. Check the update.log file which is in the same directory as the utility. It should say:

Version: 2.24.000

Update result: 0 {This means the update was successful, with no error codes}

1. For administrators, you can also check the Windows registry (regedit):
  2. Registry locationàHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\PriusTool
    1. The Error description should be blank
    2. The firmware version is 2.24.000
    3. The product ID shows the DP hub as the VMM2230
    4. The Update result should = 0 {no Error code}

Additional instructions for system administrators:

1. Performing a silent install (no user prompt at the end) requires opening a Windows command prompt, and changing the directory to the location of the “UpdateTool_DPHub_HP_ver2_24.exe” utility:
  2. Then execute the command “UpdateTool_DPHub_HP_ver2_24 –s” without quotes to start the update process.  Although the update utility interface is still seen, this is only to prevent users from undocking during the flash process.
  3. After the update is complete, the dialog box will automatically close. The firmware version can be checked from the update.log file or the Windows registry key (see steps 8/9/10 above).
    1. Error codes and descriptions include:
      1. 255 (no DP hub found, or monitor not connected)
      2. 16 (Same firmware version already installed on the dock)
    2. Even if the notebook unit has been used to update a docking station, it can be used to update other docking stations with older firmware version(s). The firmware update is performed based on checking the version actually on the dock (not what is in the Windows registry).
  4. Additional options and parameters (from the utility readme):

Usage:  UpdateTool_DPHub_HP_ver2_24.exe [-s] [-v] [-txxxx.txt]

-s:           silent action

-v:           get the current firmware version, the result will be saved on newer created file update.log

-t:           Change the txt information show to the user. xxxx.txt is the file name of the txt file

-px:        Change the default folder (current folder) used to save the update.log file

-p1: save to C:\ProgramData\

-p2: save to C:\

-P3: save to C:\Program files

-P4: save to C:\Windows

Please note except -p1, the other -p options need run the tool as administrator

-r0:         disable registry access

Note:

The update result will be saved on newer created file update.log, 0 means successful.

The result will be also saved to the Windows registry --> HKCU\Software\Synaptics\PriusTool\ unless using -r0 to disable this.

HP Recommended

By now you are also able to download the firmware from the HP driver site.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.