Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi. I hope someone can give me some advice on this issue.

I turned my laptop on the other day and none of the USB ports worked. Any device I plug in is not recognised and there is no power from the USB ports. (Mouse lens does not light up, External HHD light is off. USB flash drives do not light up.) Powered deviecs are also not recognised so it's more than just a USB power issue. (When I say not recognised I mean there is no indication that they are even connected, no pop-up error message or indication in the Device Manager that the device might be faulty.)

I have tried uninstalling all USB drivers without result, i have booted from a Linux CD and from a Win7 ERD  without result. I have also tried a hard reset, also without result. I have reset the BIOS and checked that USB is enabled in the BIOS but that also made no difference.

If anyone has any usefull tips I would be very grateful.

Funster58

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What version of Windows do you have installed on the hard drive? Can you get into UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up?). 

HP Recommended

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.

The laptop has Windows 7 Pro installed.

I have looked at the F2 option at startup. I didn't realize that HP provided such a detailed diagnostic program with there laptops.

I have run the USB test with all 3 ports. They all failed. Does this mean a new laptop or at least a replacement motherboard?

funster58.

HP Recommended

Yes 'fraid so. 

HP Recommended

Hi. Thanks again for your help. Looks like a trip to PCWorld for a replacement.

Funster58

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.