Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have read that the only atom processor to support 4GB of ram is the N2800. In addition Win7 starter only supports 2GB but i am thinking of installing Linux which will not have a problem supporting 4gb ram. SO theoretically it could work bu i would like to check if anyone has done this or if you think it won't be supported?

HP manual says it only supports 1GB but even so there is a 2GB upgrade in the parts list.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again

I am writingthis from my new hp 210-4120ea that has 4Gb installed!

Works nice, althouth win7starter only use 2 but it recognizes 4GB.

Now to get an OS upgrade that supports4GB....

:generic:

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know of anyone who has successfully installed a 4 GB module in their mini 210.

I do know that folks have installed a 2 GB module successfully and all 2 GB is recognized by W7 Starter even though the manual states only 1 GB is supported in W7 Starter (unless that is referring to China only).

You can also run the crucial memory scanner tool and see what that says.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

While the processor and even the chipset may support 4 GB of memory, the BIOS may be putting a restriction on that.

If you feel like gambling $22.00 on a 4 GB module in the remote chance it will work, that is up to you.

I don't think it will though, or someone would have reported that they did it.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks for your quick reply

On Amazon someone mentioned they did this on their netbook - their result was that windows 7s recognized 4gb of only which 2gb it stated were useable. Unfortunately they didn't specify their netbook spec/brand so that's why i asked around maybe someone here has done it.

Even if it did take it this would only work on full win 7 64 or linux 64 which i am told works fine on these puppies.

Haven't got mine yet, waiting for it to be shipped so can't run the crucial test 😞

Many thanks

N

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would think it should also work on WHP 32 bit as well.

The good news is that you found someone that actually installed a 4 GB module and the notebook booted up. If it boots up and 4 GB is recognized in the BIOS, then the limitation is due to the OS.

If you roll the dice and install a 4 GB chip, please post back with all the details, so that others can benefit from your experiment.

Paul

HP Recommended

You bet i will Paul, thanks for the input!

I am trying to use it as a platform for a heatless noiseless battery marathon running every day carry device... For about half the price of other alternatives...

Ideally i'm looking at making the best of the N2800 - i want to add 4gb ram, a 64gb ssd, and the 3g/hsdpa card. Oh and i'm thinking of doing away with Win 7s and using something like Jolicloud or Xubuntu instead as a light, junk-free efficiency machine....

Tablets have their place but productivity isn't part of so i'm hoping the N2800 with 4gb and a fast ssd  with linux make it powerful enough to take on multitasking whilste efficient enough to keep an 8 hour charge....

Will keep this post updated to see where this experiment goes...

N

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I also brought HP mini N2800, its @gb ram and 320gb hard, I also wish to uogarde it to 4gb ram, please let me know how did you do that if you have down it successfully

HP Recommended

I just came across a HP Mini 210-4120ea used on Ebay, the seller has added a 4 GB ram card and even though WIndows 7 starter can't use all 4 Gb, it boots properly - the 4gb was recognised when he/she had windows 7 home premium on it so that's encouraging :smileyvery -happy:- i'll be pressing on with the experiment and keeping this thread posted

HP Recommended

@DonShane

Will do - it will take a few days as my order seems to be delayed, but i'll be posting as soon as i find out.

Also looking to add an ssd, 3g / hsdpa and throw linux on this puppy, so if interested in any of these upgrades i'll be keeping this updated...

CHeerio

N

HP Recommended
Thanks,
in my new mini first time i put my internet USB modem and its starts to install and showed that device is not recognize, what i have to do to fix this problem, modem works well in my other laptop

cheers

HP Recommended

Hello again

I am writingthis from my new hp 210-4120ea that has 4Gb installed!

Works nice, althouth win7starter only use 2 but it recognizes 4GB.

Now to get an OS upgrade that supports4GB....

:generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.