Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP 6910p running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.

I recently upgraded the main drive from a 120GB HDD to a 128GB SSD. However, the performance gain has been minimal.

Checking, I have discovered that AHCI is not enabled and nor is there an option to do so in the (up-to-date) BIOS.

The HP website lists a compatible 32-bit version (7.6.0.1011 REV: C) of the SATA AHCI driver for this model of laptop.

However, despite quoting an identical version (7.6.0.1011 REV: C) the 64-bit version does not list the HP 6910p Notebook PC under its compatible hardware list.

Is this simply an oversight or is there a valid reason why the 32-bit version of the driver is compatible whilst the 64-bit is not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Drambo.

I supplied the driver because I figured you were just going to install the driver in IDE mode, reboot and change the SATA Native Mode setting from Disabled to Enabled.

Since you changed the SATA Native Mode to Enabled, and then reinstalled W7, you need do nothing else.

How can you tell that AHCI is enabled?

Go to the device manager and click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller section.

There you will find your SATA AHCI controller listed (Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller).

If the BIOS was not set to AHCI, the controller would have stated it was an ICH8 Serial ATA Controller, or words to that effect.

Paul

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there is a setting in the BIOS to enable AHCI and it should be set by default.

In the device configuration menu, there should be a SATA Native Mode setting, set to Enabled. That is AHCI.

Disabled is IDE.

Attached are the 64 bit AHCI drivers you need.

The specific driver for your chipset is the Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying the that setting SATA to native mode enables AHCI.

I opted for a fresh Windows 7 install. Frustratingy the instructions included with the driver only go up to Windows Vista.

During the (web enabled) Windows 7 install I didn't witness a prompt to hit F7 to install third-party drivers. However, upon completion and several Windows updates and reboots later I am able to confirm a significanlty improved Windows compatability score for the SSD: up from 5.9 to 7.2.

For my own piece of mind I would still like to confirm that AHCI is enabled. I understand I just need to go hunting for the term under the Device Manager.

So, that leaves one question: is it still necessary to install the driver supplied in this thread?

ta

Drambo

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Drambo.

I supplied the driver because I figured you were just going to install the driver in IDE mode, reboot and change the SATA Native Mode setting from Disabled to Enabled.

Since you changed the SATA Native Mode to Enabled, and then reinstalled W7, you need do nothing else.

How can you tell that AHCI is enabled?

Go to the device manager and click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller section.

There you will find your SATA AHCI controller listed (Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller).

If the BIOS was not set to AHCI, the controller would have stated it was an ICH8 Serial ATA Controller, or words to that effect.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.