Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq 6910p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Compaq 6910p with BIOS F.19 and a T7300 processor.  Looking at possible upgrades I have three questions:

1) Is F.19 the last BIOS level for these?  If not what is the latest BIOS level and where can I find it?

2) I see Core 2 Extreme X9000 support was added in F.13 - is that the fastest possible processor?

3) Can you confirm the maximum memory for these is 8GB (not 4GB as stated in the spec.)?

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can use the service manual from the 8510p notebook which is pretty much the same model as the 6910p.

The 6910p would support the same processors as shown in chapter 1, page 1.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c02496888-1.pdf

There are other forum posts regarding the installation of the X9000 in the dv9xxx consumer notebook models with the same chipset.

You can read one such discussion below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-dv9850el-CPU-upgrad...

I can confirm that the 6910p will take 2 x 4 GB of PC2-5300 or 6400 memory as I have a 6910p happily running 8 GB of memory.

I bought the memory years ago when you could get 2 x 4 GB for around $60 total.

Note:  6400 memory only runs at 667 MHz on the Mobilie 965 chipset, where it runs at 800 MHz on the desktop 965 variation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Right now HP is reworking its support websites to the service manual is not accessible. I was able to access the driver page and can confirm F.19 was the last issued BIOS. F.13 just says added support for additional Intel processors; I cannot find a list of which. Debatable whether you are better off with something like a T9x00 with higher clock speed or the Quad Core. I would guess that if it takes a Quad Core processor it can also run 8 gigs of DDR2, but 8 gigs of DDR2 costs about $100 and not sure that is a justified investment in a laptop that still has posted Windows 2000 drivers it is so old. 

These classic Windows Xp era HP/Compaq business notebooks are great, rugged machines and I can understand wanting to keep it going, however. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

If there's a Quad core that will fit that MOBO and is supported by the BIOS, I'm all ears!

Please tell me what model to aim for ...

Dave

HP Recommended

You said you have seen that the QX9000 is supported. I am skeptical. I belive the top processor is a T9600 or T9700 on that model. Need to get the Service Manual which is not accessible until the activity on rebuilding the Support pages stops in a day or so. 

HP Recommended

I didn't claim the QX9000 (quad core) was supported, just the X9000 (dual core).

Service manual I have is Sept 2008 and only covers up to T7700

The note about the support for the X9000 was on the BIOS F.13 page only a few days ago, unfortunately that information now seems to have gone AWOL.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can use the service manual from the 8510p notebook which is pretty much the same model as the 6910p.

The 6910p would support the same processors as shown in chapter 1, page 1.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c02496888-1.pdf

There are other forum posts regarding the installation of the X9000 in the dv9xxx consumer notebook models with the same chipset.

You can read one such discussion below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-dv9850el-CPU-upgrad...

I can confirm that the 6910p will take 2 x 4 GB of PC2-5300 or 6400 memory as I have a 6910p happily running 8 GB of memory.

I bought the memory years ago when you could get 2 x 4 GB for around $60 total.

Note:  6400 memory only runs at 667 MHz on the Mobilie 965 chipset, where it runs at 800 MHz on the desktop 965 variation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.