Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-d103tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

please suggest me...

currently 4gb ram  installed in my hp 15-d103tx notebook

I want to upgrade 8gb or 16gb ram in  my hp 15-d103tx notebook,

which one is comaptible for my machine

8/16 or both ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have an i5 processor, correct? 

From the Service manual:

2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots Supports dual-channel memory DDR3L-1600-MHz  Intel HM76 Express Chipset models 1 Category Description Non-touch ; UMA Non-touch; discrete Touch; UMA Touch; discrete Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations: ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2; not supported on a 32-bit operating system)

So it is either 8 gigs or 16 gigs; your choice. Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You have an i5 processor, correct? 

From the Service manual:

2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots Supports dual-channel memory DDR3L-1600-MHz  Intel HM76 Express Chipset models 1 Category Description Non-touch ; UMA Non-touch; discrete Touch; UMA Touch; discrete Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations: ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2; not supported on a 32-bit operating system)

So it is either 8 gigs or 16 gigs; your choice. Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

means i can install any one 8/16 gb ram right  ?

HP Recommended

8 gigs is the largest possible single module so you can have 1 x 8 or 2 x 4 to equal 8 gigs. It will not accept single 16 gig modules, which exist but are very rare and expensive.

HP Recommended

is it possible 1 x 4 and 1 x 8 to equal 12 gigs?

HP Recommended

Yes but not usually adviseable. If you have 2 of the same it runs in dual channel mode which is about 10-15% faster as far as memory transfer which plays a big role in overall performance. If you mix module sizes, it runs in single channel mode. For most computer users 8 gigs in dual channel will actually outperform 12 gigs in single channel largely because most people never really use the memory above 8 gigs anyway. If you edit video, compile Code or use the computer for production content creation tasks or run a virtual machine I would go with 12 gigs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.