Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 that I purchased in late 2010 (see specs below) with 'Intel core i5' with an 'ATI Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics' card included (exactly as the stickers on my machine advertise).

However, the other day I was admittedly a bit stupid, as I am a techy person, but I decided to download updates for my ATI driver via the AMD website. However after doing so a few days later I found that the card had ceased functioning, dissapearing from my device manager and my Catalyst CCC stopped working. After doing some research I decided to uninstall my AMD Catalyst stuff (practically everything I downloaded the other night was included in it) which automatically switched my graphics card over to the 'Intel(R) HD Graphics' card of which is really bad as I game on this computer.

I tried to reinstall my ATI card via AMD's website but nothing actually installed other than its directories and I also tried the recovery manager which did not work either. I decided to uninstall the AMD install manager to clear everything AMD related and try to get some help here online.

Here are my laptops specs:

Windows 7 (x64) Home Premium

Intel(R) Core i5 CPU

500GB HDD

4GB RAM (8GB RAM now after a recent RAM upgrade)

1GB Graphics Card (ATI Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics, the card that isn't functioning)

Big thanks to anyone and everyone who can be of assistance, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Brendon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

Here is the link to the drivers and software page for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-3100-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-serie...

You want to download and install the AMD drivers from that page.  Sorry, but they haven't been updated since Dec 3, 2010 (click the Details button to see that info), so there are no newer drivers from HP.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Brendon95

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your graphics driver problem and wanted to help.

Your DV6 has something known as Switchable Graphics -- and the ONLY drivers that will work are those from HP.  The ones from AMD are not designed to work with that hardware, so you should NOT be downloading drivers from anywhere other than HP.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to a drivers page because I need the detailed model number of your PC for that.  So please follow these instructions:  Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello

The model number of my laptop is as follows: dv6 - 3131TX

Thanks for the assistance

Brendon

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

Here is the link to the drivers and software page for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-3100-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-serie...

You want to download and install the AMD drivers from that page.  Sorry, but they haven't been updated since Dec 3, 2010 (click the Details button to see that info), so there are no newer drivers from HP.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

HP Recommended

Ok thanks for the link. However, when I downloaded the driver while everything seemed to work properly, the ATI Catalyst install window only installed the Installer Manger App (located under C:/ProgramFiles/ATI/CIM), the ATI Technologies folder which I assume should have files & folders in it is completely empty.

That said however I had a look in the device manager in safe mode and found the 'ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650' card in there with the Intel graphics card. After doing some more reading I decided to enable the card & update the driver by navigating to the SP50640 folder under SWSetup (where the driver installer was installed) and looking for the original driver installer and the page information file. The update was successful and after a reboot back into normal mode I found the computer started fast and found the card was working as it should and appearing in dxdiag as it should. However it was short lived as after I booted it up the next day it disappearing again and was back onto the Intel card, so it appears the update I performed in device manager is only a temporary fix. Also, it appears I have no Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) or any apps available I can use to manage the GPU, any ideas why this is?

I've also been told on a 3rd party forum that I should use DDU to clean up my ATI driver and use the AMD auto detect utility to install proper supported drivers, is this good or bad advice? I'm afraid it'll install something that isn't compatible with switchable graphics again.

Thanks for the assistance and advice, I really appreciate it

Brendon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.