Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a pavillion dm4. I want to be able to press the F1-F12 keys without having to hold the fn button down and have it respond with the action key (brightness, colume, pause/play etc.) I have gone into the BIOS and made sure that the "action keys" prompt is enabled so they should work without having to press the fn key, but unfortunately they dont. Even with it enabled the only way to use them is with the fn key. It was not like this until one day I turned on my computer and they it just randomly started doing this. Anyone know what happened or how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

same thing happen to me! i already tried disable the action key and enable it back but still didnt work

HP Recommended
Can you please post the operating system and model number of your notebook?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue, exactly. In BIOS, the action keys are enabled, but they are not acting appropriately as of yesterday.

I am using Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion g6.

Please respond, I really want to fix this!

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello SaintsCanada.

Can you identify your notebook by the product number?  This document can show you where it is located.

When you say that they're "not acting appropriately" what do you mean?  Does this mean they don't work at all or just in an unexpected fashion?

Are only certain keys not working properly or are all functions having the same issue?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

By not working appropriately I meant that even though action keys were enabled in BIOS, the were acting by default as the f1-f12 keys.  I had to use the fn button to make the action key functions work.

But as mysteriously as the problem started, it has now gone away.  They are now working properly again!

HP Recommended

Hello SaintsCanada.  

I am glad to hear that the issue resolved itself.  If it returns just come back and update the thread.

Have a great weekend!

HP Recommended

Mine is still not working.... DM4, also made sure that they are enabled in BIOS but it's still not working...ever since the new windows update.

HP Recommended

Windows 7, 64 bit, on the HP DM4 laptop to be specific. 

HP Recommended

Hello Way2cOOl,

I understand you are stating your action keys are not functioning, that is correct? I will be happy to help you.

What is the current version of BIOS that you have installed? If you are not sure how to confirm within windows have a look at the screenshots below for help.

bios1.PNG

bios3.PNG

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.