Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 m6-ar004dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 1TB hard drive, and 8 gigs of ram. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to whether I can add an SSD (and keep the 1tb). Some people have said that some models have an m2 slot for the SSD, but nobody has referenced my specific model.

And also, the same goes for the amount of memory slots, some people say 2, some say one. How would I go about upgrading the RAM as well? 

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Your model does not have an M.2 slot. See the Manual here:

Manual

You have the AMD FX-9800P processor and for M.2 slots the manual says:

Solid-state drive: Support for a 256-MB, M2.2280, PCIe 3×4SS, NVMe, solid-state drive supporting triple-level cell (TLC) (only on computer models equipped with an AMD A9-9410 processor) so yours does not have an M.2 slot. The mechanical hard drive could be replaced with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD even though the Manual does not mention that.

As for memory this is what it says:

Memory One SODIMM slot, non-accessible/non-upgradeable Support for DDR4 1866 dual channel Support for DDR4 2133 single channel Support for up to 2.0-GB maximum on-board system memory: 2048-MB (256-MB × 16 × 4 pieces) Support for up to 10.0-GB maximum system memory in the following conƭJurDtLons ● 10240-MB: 8192-MB × 1 + on-board 2048-MB (256-MB × 16 × 4 pieces) ● 8192-MB: 8192-MB × 1 ● 6144-MB: 4096-MB × 1 + on-board 2048-MB (256-MB × 16 × 4 pieces)

However, if you look at p. 31 it definitely shows 2 memory slots. This is one of those rare case where I think HP did the Manual in a rush (note memory is listed as 8 TB, not GB) and I am not 100% sure it is right. If it were mine I would remove the back cover and actually look at the memory compartment and see if there are 2 slots or 1. If there are 2 I will bet it can take 16 gigs of DDR4-2133 laptop memory. 

The Manual says it can take 10 gigs, (8 in the slot and 2 soldered on) so it should not be possible for yours to show 8 gigs total. 

Happy to help further to resolve this. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Is it possible that they are wrong about exlucing my laptop based on the chipset for having an m2 slot? It would be strange that one AMD board has one and another doesn't.

About the memory, mine definitely shows 8gb of memory in system properties. Maybe the onboard 2gb if that is there, is dedicated to the display chipset? It shows the total available graphics memory is 4335mb, 512mb is dedicated, shared system is 3823mb. But under system properties, the laptop shows 8 gigs, 7.47gb usable. My laptop doesn't have an easily accessible motherboard, I would have to remove quite a bit to get into it, through the keyboard and whatnot from what I saw online so I was trying to avoid disassembling it twice if I could find out exaclty what I needed to get if I wanted to install an SSD and upgrade the RAM while I'm in there.

HP Recommended

Anything is possible. I am already skeptical about the memory specs so while you are in there looking around you can also look for an M.2 slot I guess. You access from the back in not from the keyboard down I think so it is not that hard to get in there but will jeopardize the warranty you should know. 

You can run something like speccy or CPU-Z to check the memory configuration but Windows and the BIOS would show the full 10 gigs if it had 10 gigs. 

HP Recommended

CPUZ, it says 8 gigs of ddr4, channel # single. I will look into popping it open to see whats going on in there. If the m2 and memory slots are right there that would be easy. I saw some videos that showed the slots being accessible from under the keyboard but that could have been the previous model to be honest.

HP Recommended

It ain't this model. Please familarize yourself with the manual before you proceed. One slip of the screwdriver and you have an expensive doorstop on your hands. Spoken from painful experience. 

HP Recommended

It definitely says on the back:

Model: m6-ar004dx

P/N: W2k56UA#ABA

HP Recommended

The Manual I posted is the correct Manual. I meant if you are finding instructions showing memory and hard drive access from the top down it is not for this model. 

HP Recommended

Oh, I thought you meant that I had the wrong model lol.. Anyways, I took the bottom cover off, and everything is right there. Sadly there wasn't much to find. I found one memory slot, and no m2. Any way to tell the max amount of RAM I can insall in this? I don't know if I should trust the manual if the manual says that it has 2 slots.

Here's some pics of what's inside.

https://s17.postimg.org/ch94spumn/IMAG3916.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/7jvk7lsnj/IMAG3918.jpg

HP Recommended

That is one memory slot and I do not see an M.2. Your max memory will be 8 gigs. Not sure what happened to the supposed 2 gigs "on-board". Thanks for the pictures. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.