Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Yesterday night I upgraded my BIOS setting.After that I am unable to login the Ubuntu i.e. it was showing password is incorrect(infinite log-in loop).

Even I tried to login grub also but that one also asking username,password.

It would be great for your assistence.Thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought my Lappy with Windows 8.1 only. Later I used Dual-booting.

Coming to my query "I already clearly mentitioned in the Subject Line".

Solution to my issue is simple as I learn it from Google i.e. "I overwrite the linux sudo password through Recovery Mode I mean  through  mount -rw -o remount / and  passwd {pasword} ."

Finally coming to your question "Did the computer have Ubuntu on it when you bought it? If not I am not sure how you can expect HP to support that."

Ans : I bought Hp but it does not mean that I can use Windows only.And at the same time "how BIOS setting overidden my Ubuntu password file without my permission" . If they are providing any BIOS update mean It should & must maintain the integrity of the user(its not supposed to override the Ubuntu password setting).

I hope you cleared your doubts buddy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

What kind of "Pavilion" are we talking about? HP has been making "Pavilions" since the early 90s. What version of Ubuntu? What did you do to the BIOS settings? 

HP Recommended

I resolved it my own buddy at the same time Hp service desk people contacted with me but they don't have any knowledge on Linux OS. Even they said "we deal only with Windows OS,we don't have any Linux knowledge person".

I feel its an weird behaviour from your people because HP is a trademark of best company but you don't have any Linux technical admin persons. 

HP Recommended

Did the computer have Ubuntu on it when you bought it? If not I am not sure how you can expect HP to support that. I am not sure what your answer was; you don't tell us. This was kind of a drive-by...you ask for help, provide little information and then no clue as to how it was resolved. We hare at the Forum do not work for HP and there is Linux expertise here but you did not need it. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

I bought my Lappy with Windows 8.1 only. Later I used Dual-booting.

Coming to my query "I already clearly mentitioned in the Subject Line".

Solution to my issue is simple as I learn it from Google i.e. "I overwrite the linux sudo password through Recovery Mode I mean  through  mount -rw -o remount / and  passwd {pasword} ."

Finally coming to your question "Did the computer have Ubuntu on it when you bought it? If not I am not sure how you can expect HP to support that."

Ans : I bought Hp but it does not mean that I can use Windows only.And at the same time "how BIOS setting overidden my Ubuntu password file without my permission" . If they are providing any BIOS update mean It should & must maintain the integrity of the user(its not supposed to override the Ubuntu password setting).

I hope you cleared your doubts buddy.

HP Recommended

Not really, pal. Still not making a lot of sense but hey, it's all working now. Which I am glad to hear. 

HP Recommended

Yes..Thanks for ur support...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.