Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy m6-1125dx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am considering the Windows 10 upgrade of my HP ENVY m6-1125dx Notebook PC (Intel Core i5-3210M CPU) and need to know if this computer will be compatible with Windows 10. Because HP's support website now requires a system scan to report on available drivers, I have no way of knowing if there are any Windows 10 drivers available (or if they are even needed). I thought maybe I could email or chat with HP to see what they have to say, but they want $60 to answer a question!

Please advise if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with the Windows 10 upgrade for th Envy m6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Huffer,

Just an update...I followed your advice and did an in-place upgrade rather than the clean install, and everything seems to be working very well. The only real glitch I encountered was the trackpad settings were changed which caused a variety of problems, but I was able to address everything by going into the Synaptics control panel and resetting everything back to the way I like them.

Thanks again for the help and I will consider this one "solved."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have actually put Windows 10 on that exact laptop. i5 second generation and Intel HD 4000 video. If I recall all the device drivers were installed out of the box by Windows 10 itself. Certainly there was nothing that a post-install update did not take care of. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I needed to know. I really didn't want hose my computer by doing the upgrade and HP has been no help. I will give it a try and hope for the same result you had. BTW: Did you just do the upgrade in place, or did you reformat and do a clean install of Windows 10? If you did the clean install, any info on your method would be appreciated since it worked well for you.

HP Recommended

The first time around you want to do an inplace upgrade or you will have problems getting Windows 10 activated. Once activated with Windows 10 the Microsoft "activation server" knows your computer and will allow a clean install after that. 

So you need to go from Windows 8.1 to the corresponding version of 10. I have had zero issues with 8.1 to 10 upgrades. Most of the HP software and any other apps you have on the computer will still work. Windows 10 seems to find drivers better if upgrading from an environment where drivers are already installed. Also be sure and be connected to the internet during the upgrade. 

HP Recommended

Huffer, thank you for your info. I will do the in-place upgrade. So after doing that, did you do a "clean install" or just stick with the in-place upgrade? I am not super technically saavy, so if you did the clean install, could you shed a little light on the steps that worked successfully for you?

HP Recommended

I have done dozens of installs. On that computer, the M6, it was an upgrade I believe. When you do the upgrade you can use the Windows Media Creation tool and make a DVD or thumb drive that is then available to do a clean install later if you need to. Let's try the upgrade and see how it goes and then if necessary can come back and do the clean install. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

That sounds like good advice and makes a lot of sense to me. I will let you know if I mess it all up!

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Huffer,

Just an update...I followed your advice and did an in-place upgrade rather than the clean install, and everything seems to be working very well. The only real glitch I encountered was the trackpad settings were changed which caused a variety of problems, but I was able to address everything by going into the Synaptics control panel and resetting everything back to the way I like them.

Thanks again for the help and I will consider this one "solved."

HP Recommended

When you declare it solved it is customary to mark the answer given by someone else as the solution. But happy to have been of assistance. 

HP Recommended

You're right, and I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize I was designating myself as the solver! Hopefully, anyone needing to know the answer will look back at the thread and see your solution.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.