Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy m6 1105dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Am trying to use the BIOS update for windows 8.1 to my Envy (Windows 10) to F.36 Rev.A. Everytime I launch the executable downloaded from the site (SP66863.exe) it wants to backup the existing bios config to a flash drive and never gets to installing the bios upgrade. How do I get past this to install/flash the actual BIOS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jlandwehr,

Thank you for your query. I understand that you have tried updating the BIOS, and you get a prompt to backup the BIOS to an USB but then it does not finish.

Did you backup the BIOS to an USB? Here is documentation to guide you through this process. HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Please click theThumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @jlandwehr,

Thank you for your query. I understand that you have tried updating the BIOS, and you get a prompt to backup the BIOS to an USB but then it does not finish.

Did you backup the BIOS to an USB? Here is documentation to guide you through this process. HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Please click theThumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks Sparkles, and the answer is yes, it runs through the update and then asks me again if I want to back it up to a flash drive. I ALREADY did! Why does it continuously loop? I want to get to the install part of the whole process. I've seen the page you linked me to and it is farily worthless because in Step 4 it says:

1. Locate the BIOS file (example filename: sp12345.exe) that you downloaded and saved to a convenient location on your computer.
  2. Double-click the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. Wait for the installation to complete, and then restart the computer when prompted.
    The latest version of the BIOS is now installed on the computer.

Well, the double click/installation puts me in the whole bios backup loop again. 

Any other suggestions?

Jim

HP Recommended

An update. I successfully updated the BIOS today using the HP Installation Assistant that came with the driver update. It worked flawlessly.

Thanks again, Sparkles.

HP Recommended

Hi  @jlandwehr

Thank you for the progress report. I am glad you were finally able to update the bios.  🙂

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.