Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (101 Views)

Backlit Keyboard not working

Product Name: Envy x360 15t-w100
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing an ssd recently, the backlighting on my keyboard no longer works. Every other button on the keyboard works normally, including the other built in function keys like mute, brightness, etc. I might have messed up some connection, but I didn't take the keyboard off at all to install the ssd, which was installed without issue itself. Another thought is that it might be a driver, since its a fresh drive and windows install. I don't really know what to look for though, so any thoughts you might have to help would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (67 Views)

Re: Backlit Keyboard not working

Greetings @ColbyP_49,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you replaced the SSD on your notebook and the backlighting on the keyboard is not responding. 

Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you installed all the Windows updates?

Recommend you to make sure all the drivers updated using HP Support Assistant. Click here for assistance. 

Also, check for Windows updates and install all of them.

Once the drivers are updated, check if you are able to enable the keyboard backlight. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (54 Views)

Thanks for the response.

I did have both windows and driver updates to install still. Those are taken care of now, but neither seemed to solve the backlighting issue unfortunately. I followed the HP Support Assistant advice on checking backlight malfunctions, too, and that also yielded no results. I also changed the bios option for the action keys to default to the F1-F12 keys, and require pusing the 'fn' key to use the backlighting function (fn + f5 now instead of just f5 to try and turn it on). Also didn't change anything regarding the issue, sadly. Any other ideas? 

Also, an unrelated and less important issue is that the default volume slider seems to be extremely high. Currently listening to music through spotify, and my system volume is sitting at 2%, with spotify's in-app volume at 100%, and it is still almost too loud. Changing the system volume up to 4% is definitely uncomfortable, and anything past that is unbearable. Other sound sources, like youtube or Twitch are also louder than they should be at this 2% system volume. The volume acts normally through speakers, but with headphones it gets really loud really fast. Any thoughts regarding this?

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (43 Views)

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

The issue with the backlight keyboard seems to be a hardware issue. Try reconnecting the keyboard or contact our phone support for the service options available.

For the audio issue you are facing, please open device manager.

Uninstall the audio driver installed.

Delete the driver when prompted. 

Restart the computer. 

Download the audio driver from this link and install it on your computer. 

This should resolve the audio issue you are facing. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation