Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV4
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Laptop is plugged in however the battery level doesn't increase, even when the laptop is turned off. I already tried a new battery and a different charger, I already tried uninstall and update battery drivers, update the bios, update the Windows 7 and nothing worked.

I would like to try all possibilities before send the laptop to someone else try a repair.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seems to be a problem related to the motherboard charging function, but unfortunately my laptop is a old one with no more warranty.

I hope that all the other steps described in the post can help others with similar issues.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi@MMCS,

Welcome to HP Forums. Library for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Battery charge percentage not going up. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

I suggest you perform the steps from the below link. Let’s first check if the physical battery is okay or not.

http://hp.care/2d1sqHm

Let me know how it goes.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your guidance.

I tested the battery using HP Support Assistant and the status is OK. 

HP Recommended

Hi@MMCS,

Thanks for the reply.

Drain the laptop battery completely without connecting the charger and then try charging the battery and check if that changes the available charge level on the battery.

Also, try installing the battery controller following the steps below.

• Open the "Run" dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key ("Run").
  • Type devmgmt.msc. and hit enter.
  • Once the device manager is open, check for the option called “Batteries” and click on it to expand it.
  • Look for the option “Microsoft ACPI controller method-battery”. Right click on the option and uninstall it. Remove the multiple options of the same type.
  • Once done. Restart the PC and check if that helps.

Note: Don’t check the box that says delete the driver. IF done, the battery will never work on your PC again.

Let me know if that helped.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I did all the steps.

Now the battery level is 0%, the sign of battery shows connected and charging but the level is not increasing.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi@MMCS,

Thanks for the reply.

Check for couple hrs and see if the charge level increases.

Let me know if that worked.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried charge the battery with laptop turned on and off, but nothing worked.
I have one question: Is it possible that a bad HD could cause this issue in the battery? If I replace the HD can solve the problem?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi@MMCS,

Thanks for the reply.

The hard drive doesn’t have anything to do with the battery. The battery is a power source and Hard drive is a data storage means. Both are different.

Try updating the BIOS of the PC once and check if that fixes it. Use the link below to download the BIOS and update the same on the PC.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49501-50000/sp49569.exe

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I asked about the HD because when I ran a program to recovery HD bad sectors (before start Windows) the level of the battery increased a little during the process (from 0% to 13%), but only while the program was carrying out. Looks like the battery charges with laptop turned on but not while running Windows.

Regarding the BIOS I already had updated for the latest version available at HP drivers page. My processor is a Intel Pentium and the link you sent is to AMD processors, but thank you anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi@MMCS, 

Thanks for the reply.

IF you still have issues with the battery charging, then I request you to call phone support for warranty related support options. Please use the link below to reach out.

http://hp.care/2bjG4nE

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.