Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi @all,

i need help, my laptop when it is switched on it plugged in but not charging. If i switch the laptop off it is loading normally! For me it looks like a safety for the battery, that if you have conected with charger that it is not always charging?

Can you please help me out here?

The type is a HP Envy TS 15 Notebook

WIndows 8 installed

thanks and regards

66 REPLIES 66
HP Recommended

Hi Letast,

Thank you for your query, I will do my utmost to help.

I understand that when the laptop is plugged in, it is not showing charging but you are able to use it normally when disconnected from power. Have you done all the Windows updates? Here is a link to a document on Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎 to assist you.

If you would like further assistance would you provide the exact model of Envy ts 15 you have. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  It just showed up for an unknown reason. New HP Envy TS 15. When the laptop is plugged in, the battery icon in the tray states "plugged in but not charging". If I shut down the laptop, then it will charge, just not while turned on. 

I attemped to run the system diagnostic that was previously mentioned in the support thread, but I do not get a battery option. I also tried removing the battery and plugging it back in both with laptop on and off. 

Coincidently, an automatic update did occur just prior to this bug. Any suggestions much appreciated.

HP Recommended
model 15-j051NR

E3s10ua#ABA
HP Recommended

Hi Proseng1,

Thank you for your query, I will do my best to help you resolve this.

I understand that your battery is not charging.   Here are two documents to assist you in this issue.  Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎 and Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I have tried this solution, but my Windows 8 HP TS 15 does not seem to have Systems diagnostics that include the battery test. When I boot and hit escape, I get the chance to hit F2, but no battery test is available. It only has hard drive, memory, and exit. F1 has system info.

I can't find any utilities that were preloaded either. I have unistalled/reinstalled the drivers from the device manager (both battery and charger), but this was not successful.

HP Recommended

Hi Prosemg1.

Let us try running The HP Support Assistant to test the battery. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Checking the Status of the Battery. Good luck

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I ran the battery tool, but still no change. My idicator still says plugged in, not charging. Note, the laptop will indeed charge if it is shut down. Here is a print screen from the battery diagnostic test:

Serial Number:[edited by Moderator]

Product Name: HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC

Product Number: E3S10UA#ABA

Cell Voltage 2: 3643 mV

Warranty Type: 1

Cycle count: 110 / 300

Manufacturer: 13-24

Battery Age: 304 days

Serial Number: 34085 2013/05/26

Temperature: 24 °C

Design Capacity: 4400 mAh

Full Charge Capacity: 4323 mAh (98%)

Remaining Capacity: 1987 mAh

Current: 0 mA

Terminal Voltage: 10928 mV

Design Voltage: 10800 mV

Cell Voltage 1: 3642 mV

Cell Voltage 2: 3643 mV

Cell Voltage 3: 3641 mV

Cell Voltage 4: 0 mV

AC Power: True

CT Number: 6DKRD03BB4R84S

Current State: Unknown

Failure ID: OK

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

HI Proseng1,

Thank you for your reply. 

I understand that the battery charges when the notebook is powered off and connected, but not if it is powered on and connected.  Have you checked your power management settings? Here is a link to a Windows Power plans: frequently asked questions. Here is a link to a document for testing the AC adapter. Possibly it is not supplying enough power to support notebook and charging of the battery.  Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

You stated this happened after an automatic update. I would try doing a restore back to a time before the update.  Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi @Proseng1 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information such as the Serial Number in your Post. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.