Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This just happened the other night. The battery is plugged in, but not charging. I did the whole disconnect AC, shut down, take battery out, etc went to device manager, the whole 9 yards. When I do an HP battery test the battery comes out as good. I don't know what is wrong and why it's not working. I've had it for less than 2 months (HP Pavilion dm1-4142nr).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good Morning dm1zalex,

I regret that you have determined it is the motherboard and will require repair.  I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

If you wish to test the adapter just to rule it out here is a ink to assist you.  Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region Technical Support Sitemap .

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

114 REPLIES 114
HP Recommended
what is the charge level of the battery? If it is close to 100%, this is normal so the battery doesn't become "overcharged"

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

Last night and this morning it was at 22%, then because I kept messing around with it so much and tried to leave it unplugged it's at 19% right now.

I am currently deployed overseas so the power converters and what not are different, but I've always plugged it into a little surger protector directly into the wall and it was fine. I also have a convert I plug into the surge protector and it's been fine. This just happened out of the blue.

Not sure what else I can do, I'm going to try to find someone who has the same type charger as me and hopefully use theirs to see if it's just the charger.

HP Recommended
Try updating your BIOS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-103917-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

There was an update in April.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

I updated it, but it did not work!

HP Recommended

I also tried using a different charge and that didn't work. It seems to just stay on at 19%.

HP Recommended

Did you run the battery test through HP Support Assistant?  Some units have a built-in battery test that can be accessed by pressing F2 during startup (when the HP logo comes up).

HP Recommended

Yeah I did. Mine is F1 to do pull up the HP Support Assistant. It says status OK. Current state: UNKNOWN.

HP Recommended

Try this,
Start the battery test, but as soon as the test begins, unplug the a/c adapter. When you get the error message that the computer needs to be plugged in to perform the test, plug it back in and wait a few seconds and the test will resume.

Hopefully theres still enough battery power left to keep the computer powered on for the few seconds without the a/c

HP Recommended

I tried and it was taking quite awhile, but it never came up as failed it just kept testing

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.