Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought HP AU116TX from HP and it came with 4GB RAM. I want to upgrade my Ram and i believe one ram slot is free and i thought of upgrading 8GB Ram in that slot but there comes a big question. Which one to go for?

I did a lot of research and crucial is out of option sicnce they support only HP-Compaq series.

Corsair Vengenace is an option but im not sure if i can go with it and im not sure whats Max MHZ Ram my Laptop supports. CAN any one help me out.  ALso i couldnt find Vengenace with 2133 MHZ. Internet searches list only 2400 MHZ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your Manual:

Manual

See p. 35. It actually has 2 slots so if you want to upgrade to 8 gigs you only need another 4 gig module. You are definitely better off with 2 identical modules because of the "dual channel" thing and 8 gigs in dual channel is generally better than 12 in single channel as you get with mismatched modules. It will accept DDR4-2400 modules but downclock them to 2133. 

Two SODIMM slots - customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable DDR4-2133 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2400 bridge to DDR4–2133) Supports up to 16GB max system memory

4 GB 2133 MHz 1.2v DDR4 shared 820569-005

8 GB 2133 MHz 1.2v DDR4 shared 820570-005

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-17000-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B015HQ9SI6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=...

The above link lets you pick either a 4 gig or 8 gig module. Technically this is only supposed to be done by an HP authorized tech, by the way. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Your Manual:

Manual

See p. 35. It actually has 2 slots so if you want to upgrade to 8 gigs you only need another 4 gig module. You are definitely better off with 2 identical modules because of the "dual channel" thing and 8 gigs in dual channel is generally better than 12 in single channel as you get with mismatched modules. It will accept DDR4-2400 modules but downclock them to 2133. 

Two SODIMM slots - customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable DDR4-2133 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2400 bridge to DDR4–2133) Supports up to 16GB max system memory

4 GB 2133 MHz 1.2v DDR4 shared 820569-005

8 GB 2133 MHz 1.2v DDR4 shared 820570-005

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-17000-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B015HQ9SI6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=...

The above link lets you pick either a 4 gig or 8 gig module. Technically this is only supposed to be done by an HP authorized tech, by the way. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

1. I'll be playing lot of games so i want to get best ram with 8GB.  I'll add 8GB in 1 slot and 4GB which is already available so it makes 12 GB RAM. So what do u suggest? as you mentioned since its dual channel thing there you may be mismatch if i add 8GB in one slot and already 4 is present in one.  this will be an issue or still i can go ahead with 8GB? or 4GB + 4GB is enough? which is better? i play lot of games so thats the main thing.

2. How about Kingston Hyper X. Will this support my lap.

http://www.amazon.in/Kingston-HyperX-Black-Pin-DIMM-Memory/dp/B00TY6A56U?tag=googinhydr18418-21

3. You mentioned as SODIMM Memory module but Kingsto HyperX is 288 pin DIM Module. Can you tell me if i still buy SODIMM memory module whether it supports my lap.

Attached my RAM details from CPU-Z. Thanks for the reply.

RAM CONFIG.PNG

HP Recommended

It's a laptop it needs SO-DIMM, not DIMM. If you don't know that you are not going to be able to open it up and do the installation I think. I really fully explained it above. Gaming is not about purely how much memory it is about how fast it works so you MUST have dual channel. But frankly memory is only a very small part of gaming performance. Don't buy "gaming" or "performance" memory. Waste of money. Probably best for you to take it to a local shop. 

HP Recommended
Hi, I know what I'm doing. I know how to replace most of the component in laptop. All I asked is your guidance to get best 8 GB ram module in market which supports my laptop. If I take it to local shop I end up paying 25$ extrA for installation. So reply if u know what's best 8GB ram or 4 GB ram in market for my laptop .. Part number or model no of the ram something il take care of rest . Rams performance do impact based on make and all the pins and stuff is not my piece of cake that's why I posted in this forum.

Since your an expert in the forum I hoped you would give me a better answer . Thank
HP Recommended

I linked you to the precise module you need but you keep asking about memory I told you that you do not need. You can lead a horse to water...I think you need to get advice from someone who is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear. Good luck. 

HP Recommended
All I needed was certain details .. Thanks anyways for providing the info . Closing this thread.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.