Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop would blink once every 3 seconds and if it's plugged and charging and I turn it in it blinks twice and doesn't work and if it's not plugged and I turn it on it blinks 3 time and also doesn't work
Why should I do??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Iboreda1,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is not booting into the windows anymore,

I see from the post that it blinks 3 times. This could be an issue with the Memory. 

Check for loose memory modules

If a memory module is loose or is not making good contact with the memory slots, the computer does not recognize all of the memory. Reseating the memory module may resolve memory failure errors. To reseat the memory module, take the memory module out of the memory slot and then put it back into the slot to get a better connection so that the computer can recognize the memory.

The memory module compartment on most notebooks is located on the bottom of the case, however, on some models, the memory compartment is under the keyboard. See your User Guide for the exact location of memory modules on your notebook.

Use the following steps to remove and reseat the memory modules:

• Step 1 - Remove the electrical power

To remove all power from the computer and prevent accidental damage to the electronic components, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer by pressing and holding down the Power button for about 30 seconds.

2. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook.

3. Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.

4. Use your finger to lift the battery up and out.

• Step 2 - Remove the memory module

1. Remove the memory module cover on the bottom of the notebook.

2. Remove the memory modules from the memory slots.

3. Reseat the memory module by holding module at a 45-degree angle, and pressing it firmly into the memory slot until it is seated.

4. After reseating the memory module, replace the cover over the memory compartment before restarting the computer.

• Step 3 - Replace the electrical power

When troubleshooting problems, use only the AC power to perform the tests. After the problem is resolved, you can turn off the computer and insert the battery into the notebook.

1. Plus the connection from the AC adapter into the notebook, and then connect the AC adapter to a working power supply.

2. Perform any tests to verify the computer can start up and run in the Windows operating system.

3. With the computer turned off, push the battery into the base enclosure until the retention clips click into position.

• if the computer fails to boot to the Windows desktop after the memory is reseated and the battery is installed, contact HP for support.

Perform memory self-test

If the computer can access part of the memory, it may be possible to access the BIOS Setup Utility display and perform a memory self-test to identify other memory issues. If the computer cannot boot to the BIOS Utility, try removing and reseating the memory and the hard drive, and then repeat the following steps to perform the memory self-test.

1. Plug the AC adapter into the computer.

2. Turn off the computer.

3. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the f10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.

4. In the BIOS Setup Utility, use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate through the menu selection to locate the Diagnostics .

5. Use the Down Arrow or Up Arrow keys to select Memory Test .

6. Press Enter , and then Yes to perform the memory test.

7. After the test completes, press f10 key to Save and Exit , and then press Enter key to Exit Saving Changes?

If the test fails, one or more of the memory modules may not be seated properly. Check for and reseat loose memory modules.

For more details: 

Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

If the issue persists, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 

Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Iboreda1,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is not booting into the windows anymore,

I see from the post that it blinks 3 times. This could be an issue with the Memory. 

Check for loose memory modules

If a memory module is loose or is not making good contact with the memory slots, the computer does not recognize all of the memory. Reseating the memory module may resolve memory failure errors. To reseat the memory module, take the memory module out of the memory slot and then put it back into the slot to get a better connection so that the computer can recognize the memory.

The memory module compartment on most notebooks is located on the bottom of the case, however, on some models, the memory compartment is under the keyboard. See your User Guide for the exact location of memory modules on your notebook.

Use the following steps to remove and reseat the memory modules:

• Step 1 - Remove the electrical power

To remove all power from the computer and prevent accidental damage to the electronic components, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer by pressing and holding down the Power button for about 30 seconds.

2. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook.

3. Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.

4. Use your finger to lift the battery up and out.

• Step 2 - Remove the memory module

1. Remove the memory module cover on the bottom of the notebook.

2. Remove the memory modules from the memory slots.

3. Reseat the memory module by holding module at a 45-degree angle, and pressing it firmly into the memory slot until it is seated.

4. After reseating the memory module, replace the cover over the memory compartment before restarting the computer.

• Step 3 - Replace the electrical power

When troubleshooting problems, use only the AC power to perform the tests. After the problem is resolved, you can turn off the computer and insert the battery into the notebook.

1. Plus the connection from the AC adapter into the notebook, and then connect the AC adapter to a working power supply.

2. Perform any tests to verify the computer can start up and run in the Windows operating system.

3. With the computer turned off, push the battery into the base enclosure until the retention clips click into position.

• if the computer fails to boot to the Windows desktop after the memory is reseated and the battery is installed, contact HP for support.

Perform memory self-test

If the computer can access part of the memory, it may be possible to access the BIOS Setup Utility display and perform a memory self-test to identify other memory issues. If the computer cannot boot to the BIOS Utility, try removing and reseating the memory and the hard drive, and then repeat the following steps to perform the memory self-test.

1. Plug the AC adapter into the computer.

2. Turn off the computer.

3. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the f10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.

4. In the BIOS Setup Utility, use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate through the menu selection to locate the Diagnostics .

5. Use the Down Arrow or Up Arrow keys to select Memory Test .

6. Press Enter , and then Yes to perform the memory test.

7. After the test completes, press f10 key to Save and Exit , and then press Enter key to Exit Saving Changes?

If the test fails, one or more of the memory modules may not be seated properly. Check for and reseat loose memory modules.

For more details: 

Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

If the issue persists, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 

Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for your help!!
HP Recommended

Hi @Iboreda1,

The pleasure is all mine,
I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for accepting the solution and for taking the time to let me know about it. 
You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure. 

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.