Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently ordered a new laptop and tried to order one with a Bluray. The only optical available on new build laptops is a CD/DVDRW.

Why is HP eliminating the Bluray drive as an option ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Make sure you get the correct thickness. Also the big issue is transplanting the faceplate from the DVD burner to the Blu-Ray drive. Try to get an image of the drive you are buying so you can see how the faceplate is mounted. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Blu-Ray has been a bit of a disappointment in the market. The industry required the purchase of proprietary software to play Blu-Ray movies and in addition the whole need for optical drives has kind of gone by the wayside. You can download Blu-Ray quality content from online. The public never saw much value added from Blu-Ray quality movies as opposed to DVD quality. Smart TVs took away the need to have a computer play entertainment media. The large storage capacity of Blu-Ray disks became unneeded as inexpensive usb thumb drives became available and storage moved to the cloud. 

You can install a generic Blu-Ray disk in place of the DVD burner if you really need a Blu-Ray player as part of your laptop.

Post back if you need help with that.  

HP Recommended

I do require a Bluray because many of the movies are being issued only on bluray and I'm not comfortable relying on the streaming services. Many times when I travel the Wifi connection is marginal and does not support straming very well.

All that said, I intend to upgrade the optical to a bluray and looked at the panasonic UJ-272 drive.

Has anyone been through this upgrade and have any pointers ?

HP Recommended

Make sure you get the correct thickness. Also the big issue is transplanting the faceplate from the DVD burner to the Blu-Ray drive. Try to get an image of the drive you are buying so you can see how the faceplate is mounted. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer.

I got a Panasonic UJ272 bluray R/W. 9.5mm drive.

Easy to install. I removed the single screw from the bottom of the laptop and slid out the old DVD drive.

I transferred the mounting tab to the new drive. The tricky part is removing the face of the drive. 

There're are no screws holding the face. There is a locking tab. I carefully pried the tab and got the face free. Then the face pivots and comes loose. The face installs perfectly on the new drive. Just place the pivot point on the new drive and swing it into place. The lock lines up perfectly on the new drive.

Slide everything into the laptop and secure it with one screw.

The Power DVD software for Bluray can be upgraded for $50. 

The whole upgrade cost $127

Well worth it to me.

HP Recommended

Glad to have helped. Enjoy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.