Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you Jheebs...Really appreciate it! :womanvery-happy:

HP Recommended

Off topic a little,  but yes the 2 programs you use are awsome.  

(If you do not have an anti-virus I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials and for malware I suggest MalwareBytes.)

The techys at school told me to dump all of my paid anti virus software and just run the MS product and the MalewareBytes and with smart surfing, that is all I need now.  I use a few other freebies to do a montly cleaning, but have not paid for any usless software like that in over 2 years.

But as for the problem of the drive popping Open,  I took it to the local computer repair service and they said the little latch gets worn down, and will not stay shut each time the computer wants to use it, or check it.

A new drive and fan for under $200 and it works fine.   

HP Recommended

Same problem for me... Glad I found this thread, at last...

Well for me at least, the issue is that the DVD RW stays closed most of the time...

And very rarely does it start opening up, all of a sudden...

Anyone has a tip to get the CD out when the DVD RW won't open?...

So does the thread agree this is a FAULTY hardware issue? Is it covered out of WARRANTY by HP?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/DVD-CD-RW-GT20L-SATA-can-t-READ-EJECT-anym...

HP Recommended

This is ridiculous! The annoying problem of the CD/DVD drive popping open began for me in June 2013. The affected computer (a Pavilion G6) eventually completely crashed. June 2013 Microsoft updates were all that preceeded this event. I had to let the computer sit after it crashed. Techs were telling me I was looking at probable replacement of the CD/DVD drive, motherboard and Wifi adapter.  Didn't have time or the $$$ to rebuild. Computer was out of warranty.

May 2015 - completely rebuilt the G6. Installed a new CD/DVD drive as everyone suggested, but nothing else. Computer's been running beautifully and smoothly. Guess what?! The CD/DVD popping open problem resurfaced yesterday, July 1. 

I found this post on a number of websites:

http://www.wikihow.com/Program-a-Computer's-Optical-Drive-Prank

A reformulated viral version of this prank-type malware may have been the culprit of the CD/DVD problem all along. Kinda seems like it may have been more than malicious, since HP computers are the main - but not the only computers - affected. Restart does nothing to resolve the problem, btw.

How on earth can anyone find a Notepad file that has been renamed to look like a browser or any other file?! No antivirus program I know of finds this thing. I know how to search for code on Unix/Linux with grep. Does Win 7 have a way to search for this that I'm not aware of? Ideas anyone? HP techs ... help please!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

Been reading through a lot of thesee posts, but didn't go through all of them.   So don't know if this was suggested or not.  But if it wasn't,  did anyone try to see if the BUTTON (on the front of the case) was STICKING??

I had this same issue start up right after I used a CD.  The tray kept popping opening and closing internittently-- it would open, then later go back in again.  So I started looking for a resolution (and found this thread), but then remembered I had an issue with the button on another PC a few years ago.  Sure enough, THE BUTTON WAS STUCK!!  I tapped on the case to pop it out, and now it's doesn't open/close (on it's own) anymore.

Sooo, check out your BUTTON.  Especially if it's a MECHANICAL button like is on my Slimline.  I took the cover off, and it looks like the button was just getting caked up with dirt, so then it would stay stuck in the IN position.    After cleaning it, no more issues.

Hope this helps!  JEB

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.