Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-ak002nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem: as the temperature of the cpu increases, the fan does not speed up enough to cool it down, so the cpu then throttles down to 700-800 mhz, making gaming (the main purpose i bought this pc for) basically impossible.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Context: this problem started a few months ago. I sent in the pc for repair to HP but the repair did not solve the problem. About a week ago i noticed a BIOS update that i hadn't installed. I installed it and it seemed to solve the problem: the cpu would now run at 3.2 ghz all the time i needed it, and the fan would speed up enough to keep the temperature just under 80 degrees. I could play games no problem without fps drops.

But yesterday the problem reappeared. After the BIOS update there have been absolutely no changes to the system: no new drivers, no new programs, no uninstallations, no setting changes, absolutely nothing. The problem seems to have reappeared out of nowhere. I'd like to point out that the problem didn't reappear after a reboot: I was playing a game and everything was working fine. I closed that game, used Chrome for half an hour, started another game and the problem came back. I had already used both the game and Chrome before with no issues, so they were not what caused the problem to come back.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CPU-is-throttling-and-fan-not-...

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @nikidash,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where the fan speed is not increasing as the temperature increases. Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Recommend you to make sure all the drivers are updated using HP Support Assistant. Click here for assistance. 

Please run an extensive test on your computer to make sure all the components are working fine. Click here for assistance. 

Reset the BIOS to defaults and check. 

If the issue persists, as you have mentioned that an earlier BIOS update fixed the issue, you can rollback the BIOS to an older version. 

To rollback BIOS, shut down the computer and while holding down Win + B turn the computer ON. Refer to this HP Article for assistance.  

You can also refer to the below articles for assistance. 

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Keep me posted.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer, i will follow your post and report back.

In the mean time i have just a precisation to do: the BIOS update that temporarily fixed the issue was the latest one, version F.82A. Earlier versions did not seem to help, but i haven't tried yet a rollback to the original version, i will try that.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please do try the recommended steps and let me know how it goes. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, results: problem appears to be fixed, but i don't know why.

Only outdated drivers were souns and network drivers, so i doubt those were what caused it. Hardware test did not find any failures. Bios reset to defaults didn't work either. Last thing i tried is the bios rollback wich appears to not have worked as i still have version F.82A installed, yet the problem has somehow fixed itself after this step (i had to leave the room so i don't exactly what it did). The rollback did do *something*, because the settings were reset to default again, but i don't know exactly what. 

For now i'll just hope that the problem will stay fixed this time.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved. Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, the problem has appeared again, and worse. Now both the CPU and the GPU are throttling at around 62 degrees. I have done absolutely no changes nor updates to bios, settings or drivers. The problem has not even appeared after a reboot: i had been playing dark souls 3 for about an hour with no problems and closed it. Later i started it up again (pc hasn't been rebooted or changed in any way in the meantime, not even standby) and fps were swinging between 60 and 10, i cheked the temperatures and they weren't going above 62 degrees.

I have already tried a bios reset but it did not solve the problem this time.

HP Recommended

Ok, things are getting straight up weird now. Dark souls 3 on minimum graphics runs mostly below 10 fps when the AC adapter is plugged in, but if i unplug it and let the pc run on battery i can max out the graphics and it runs at a stable 40-ish fps. And the temperatures are kept below 65 degrees, still not the 85-90 it was before. Does anybody have any idea on what the hell could be happening?

EDIT: same thing happens if i remove the battery and run only with the adapter plugged in. Max settings, stable 40 fps, 60-70 degrees.

HP Recommended

@nikidash

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I appreciate the fact that you've attempted the steps mentioned earlier which seem to have resolve the issue at the time,

However, I've done some research and I recommend the below steps for a permanent fix:

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel. 

  

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate. 

  

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does. 

  

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware. 

  

If the issue persists, please check this similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here    

(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix). 

Keep me posted, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Turns out the charger is indeed not powerful enough, the pc states it needs 90w and the charger only provides 65w. The weird thing is that it doesn't even seem to be an HP charger, just a random unbranded one, despite it being the one that was in teh box with the pc (bought new, not used). Could it have been a mishap that happened during packaging? I'll definitely get a 90w though.

Temperatures are still wonky though. While the situation improves a lot and games become actually playable when unplugged, the pc still tries to keep these excessively low temps (60-ish now) mostly by throttling while leaving the fan at slower speeds. I know this isn't the correct behaviour because i also have screenshots (https://imgur.com/a/RFUFk) of the temperatures in usual high load ranges. Don't mind the low fps as i had artificially cranked the settings to put the pc under heavy load.

As you can see the temperatures are high and the fan is running at high speeds, and this isn't happening currently. The pc wasn't overheating at the time since i had just cleaned all the internals from dust and was stress testing it. It never throttled once and the fan kept the temperatures in check giving excellent gaming performance, situation wich now just isn't happening.

I've tried changing the nvidia settings, both individually and system-wide, but there's been no change.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.