Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 5330m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello there, today i bought a few years old Probook 5330m with i3-2310m intel processor and i am curious what cpu can i upgrade at most? can i use ivy bridge? i know that the socket is the same and it should work, but i am afraid of bios support for cpu, so maybe you know what cpu i can upgrade most? i5-i7 sandy bridge, ivy bridge? And i wanted to know can i upgrade ram to 2x8 gb? Thanks for your answers! And sorry for my english language skills, its not my native language.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ignas332 wrote:

So Intel Core i5-2520M is as far as i can go? I know that these three processors is the ones who comes in with this pc, but i think i could go further and upgrade to more faster cpu? I was asking about 2x8gb (16gb), cause i know that sandy bridge can support 16gb ram, well however thanks! I will be waiting for more answers if there will be any.

"So Intel Core i5-2520M is as far as i can go?" Yes.

Beyond the chipset's capability, the ability to support 16GB is dependent on BIOS support. HP's published specifications that are available on the web for the public and the manual for authorized service providers state that 8GB is the maximum supported.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The following CPUs are compatible with your notebook. There are not any Core i7 CPUs that are compatible. Sandy Bridge only.

Product description
Category
Description
Product Name
HP ProBook 5330m Notebook PC
Processors
Intel® Core™ processors

Intel Core i3-2310M, Dual-Core, 2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 4 threads (35 W)

Intel Core i3-2350M, Dual-Core, 2.36 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 4 threads (35 W)

Intel Core i5-2520M, Dual-Core, 2.50 GHz (Turbo up to 3.20 GHz), 3 MB L3 cache, 4 threads (35 W)

Yes, you can upgrade to 8GB

Memory
2 customer-accessible/upgradable SODIMM memory module slots 
Supports dual-channel memory
Supports up to 8 GB of system memory
DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM (1333 MHz)
Supports the following configurations:

8192-MB total system memory (4096-MB × 2, dual-channel)

6144-MB total system memory (4096-MB + 2048-MB, dual channel)

4096-MB total system memory (4096-MB × 1)

4096-MB total system memory (2048-MB × 2, dual-channel)

3072-MB total system memory (2048-MB + 1024-MB, dual-channel)

2048-MB total system memory (2048-MB × 1)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So Intel Core i5-2520M is as far as i can go? I know that these three processors is the ones who comes in with this pc, but i think i could go further and upgrade to more faster cpu? I was asking about 2x8gb (16gb), cause i know that sandy bridge can support 16gb ram, well however thanks! I will be waiting for more answers if there will be any.

HP Recommended

@Ignas332 wrote:

Beyond the chipset's capability, the ability to support 16GB is dependent on BIOS support. HP's published specifications that are available on the web for the public and the manual for authorized service providers state that 8GB is the maximum supported.

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have the same laptop and it supports 16GB of RAM.

I put 2 RAM sticks into 2 slots: one 4GB and one 8GB. Now the total amount of RAM in my laptop is 12GB.

Both slots support 8GB RAM sticks.

And the question about maximum CPU support is still open.

If you know something interesting according CPU upgrage, please e-mail me:

ibel<d@ggy>ukr.net (replace <d@ggy> with @, please)

HP Recommended

Turns out you're wrong and this whole thread is not solved.
The i3-2310M Is a completely different shape and size from the i5-2520M
Which I discovered at my peril after taking this forum's advice and wasting money on an i5 that doesn't fit the probook 5330m.

HP Recommended

@McBard wrote:

Turns out you're wrong and this whole thread is not solved.
The i3-2310M Is a completely different shape and size from the i5-2520M
Which I discovered at my peril after taking this forum's advice and wasting money on an i5 that doesn't fit the probook 5330m.

Take a read of the Maintenence & Service guide. See page 1  and then peruse page 19.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03011614

Use the HP Partsurfer to get the part number for the compatible processors

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?IsmobileDevice=Y

HP Recommended

When you cross the i3-2310m part number through the part surfer, it is aparent that you can only buy the mobo with the processor soldered on and a BGA connection.

So can you now change this incorrect thread and not tell people they can upgrade their processor for the probook 5330m?...

It's very misleading to find this thread through google and now have been cost money because of your mistake.

HP Recommended

I got an email notification about recieving thanks for my posts.

Erico, you have not responded to my point and still leave this thread as solved when my experience and further research directly contradicts your answer.
Why?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.