Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-w023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a 13" Spectre x360 and am loading software. Suddenly I noticed -- NO KENSINGTON SLOT!!!!

THIS IS A CRITICALOMISSION AND MAKES THE NEW EXPENSIVE LAPTOP PRACTICALLY WORTHLESS TO ME. I never thought of looking for one because every computer includes a security cable slot. It's a no-brainer.

OK. After a moment of intense panic I calm down and realize that I haven't bought a laptop for a while and things change. HP engineers are smart people. They wouldn't have omitted something this critical. So, somewhere there's a different product that will provide this kind of security. But I haven't been able to find it.

Can someone please point me to whatever anti-theft security product will work on this computer? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Yeah the Kensington security slot is more or less standard on laptop for 2 decades, but on ultraportables and convertible 2 in 1s, there just isn't much space to install enough metal to be strong enough for the security slot.  The only option is to use one of those locks you see in retail stores on display models, kind of like the Club device used in cars.

HP Recommended

>The only option is to use one of those locks you see in retail stores on display models, kind of like the Club device used in >cars.

Are you talking about one of those kind that you have to actually glue a piece onto the device, or are you talking about something else?

>on ultraportables and convertible 2 in 1s, there just isn't much space to install enough metal to be strong enough for the security slot

I don't want to sound rude, because I don't mean it that way at all, but the logic doesn't seem to work. It's like saying there isn't enough space for a display so we're just goint to omit it. But the computer is small and light so you won't miss the display. It would be nice to live in a world where security locks are not essential, but we don't. Besides, Dell's 13" XPS is about this same size and has one - not a Kensington, probably because of the size and space, but a similar design. I looked a few minutes ago. Had the idea even occurred to me that any company would be irresponsible enough to leave off a lock slot, I wouldn't have even bothered to look at it. But I've had HP products in the past and they've been well-designed and well thought out, so even after my first "Oh no!" moment when I realized it wasn't there, I quickly thought, no, HP engineers are smart. They'd never let something as embarassing as this get out the door. There surely is a solution I simply don't know about. This is a HUGE omission, and a deal-breaker, but unfortunately I've already bought the machine and got most of my software installed before noticing. I'm afraid I'm stuck with a machine that will be constant annoyance in the situations I most bought it for.

HP Recommended

I'm referring to this lock http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/old/olivercheng/olivercheng$712151851.jpg

As for being too thin, I have the Envy x360 with 7th gen I7.  I can see there is no way to have the security lock anywhere.  It just won't be strong enough.  The current model Spectre is even thinner.  So why shoehorn a lock that just won't be secure at all.  Do Macbook Air's have a security lock?

HP Recommended

I have never seen a lock like that!! Are you pulling my leg?

So far as thin, Dell's XPS 13 is 0.54 x 7.8 x 12 according to Best Buy Specs, while the Spectre X360 is 0.5 x 8.6 x 12. So virtually identical. I say that not to play off the two against one another, or argue that one is better. I merely point out that it is apparently possible to have a lock in a small body. I think there are differences between the standard Kensinton and the one they use to account for the smaller size, but I haven't taken the time to check out the difference.

History tells us to expect that laptops have locks - a necessity because of when and where you use them. To buy one and find out it doesn't have puts a sour taste in my mouth towards a manufacturer that I've held in high regard over the years. It's not so different from showing up at the dealer to pick up a new car and seeing it up on blocks because it no longer comes with tires. surprise! That, of course, is my opinion. Others may not use them in situations where it matters. I, however, am stuck with a computer that has for my purpose a serious flaw, and that by a company that I've trusted over the years.

HP Recommended

... you might want to check the Kinsington for thin notebooks:

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/v/7330/2717/laptop-locking-station-20

HP Recommended
I was able to make a lock out of steel wire from the hardware store and a combination lock. It is not perfect but hopefully gets the job done. It attaches around one of the connectors between the screen and base. I may try the Kensington lock if this doesn't work.
HP Recommended

**  SOLVED **   This was invented mainly as a retail store security system using the 3.5mm audio socket. Very successful so clearly the socket is strong enough to withstand a good tug. If it's theft they're going to be missing the left side of the laptop and have no sound output!
https://store.multplx.com/products/j-plug-lock-with-loop-fitting

J-PLUG LOCK WITH LOOP

• The patented 3.5mm audio locking mechanism provides maximum security (244 KG /538 LB pulling force), without having to use a heavy/bulky traditional claw system.
  • Please Note: A Tetrakey is required to operate the J-Plug Lock.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.