Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchased a new Hp Envy X360 last week with one type C usb port.  Can this port be used to charge this laptop? If so how do I do this? Thank you in advance. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the specs:

USB Type-C™ connector, with the capability to charge, power and connect to a display, transfer data and support HP Sleep and Charge.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
That's the explanation of a type C sub port however, I've read on this forum that the Hp Specter X360 can be charged using that port, but I've heard nothing on the Envy X360 with the sub "C" port having the charging capability. How does one use the port to charge the laptop? Is there a special charger using the type C cable?
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you buy a machine without charger ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
This was NEW from Hp, of course it came with a charger! Just exploring other options on charging capabilities.
HP Recommended

No one seems to know much of anything on being able to charge a laptop using a usb-C  or 3.1 port!  I know it's possible with the skylake usb-C thunderbolt type. I can only guess it will require a external dc special battery to accomplish this! Wish there was more information concerning this!

HP Recommended

HELLO Bigfoot,

Have you finaly found out if your laptop could be charged through the usb c port ? It would be rather helpfull to get the right answer from hp, but indeed apparently nobody knows for shure. Well what about us the poor consumer , who is trying to find out without a real help from the manufacturer.

On my envy x360 is mentionned usb c port with hp sleep and charge (with a flash logo). So what does it really mean? In the manual they explain that it is only for charging other devices like a phone or smartwatch. 

Does this mean it can not be use to charge the laptop with a powerbank (say 45 watts) ?

Kind regards,

Danvos

HP Recommended

I think that's right, Danvos; namely, this NOT being Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 compatible, it supports low-power charging of a USB-C connected device (i.e., power OUT) while the PC is in Hibernate mode, but does NOT support high-power charging of the PC itself (i.e., power IN). And for heaven's sake, don't try it (especially with a non-HP power supply/USB-C cable!), as various cheap USB-C chargers have been known to fry motherboards.

HP Recommended

I tried using HP USB-C charger from Spectre x360 on my HP Envy x360 15z (Ryzen5 2500U) and it did not work, the charger was not recognized.

I believe the answer is 'No', USB-C on this model does not support USB-C charging.

HP Recommended

Apparently yes.  You can charge your laptop through the Type-C port, if you have the right kind of port and AC adpater.

The [Feburary 2018] User Guide that came with my HP Spectre x360 - 15t describes one of the three functions of the "USB Type-C power connector and Thunderbolt port with HP Sleep and Charge" as follows:

"Connect AC adapters that have a USB Type-C connector, supplying power to the computer and, if needed, charging the computer battery while the computer is off or in the Sleep state."

The manual only says that about the "Thunderbolt" port and not the other USB Type-C ports with HP Sleep and Charge.  So I figure that the key ingredients are "Thunderbolt" and an AC Adpater that has a USB Type-C with a male output cord.

Could this mean the birth of universal AC adapters?  Maybe.  On Amazon, I found a whole bunch of chargers with Type-C Power Delivery (PD).   There are a lot of 45W ones from Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.  I also found a 65W one from Lenovo, and some 90W ones from Dell ($83) and a bunch of off-brands.  There is even a car charger that is supposedly 110W from BatPower ($62) that comes with a USB-C adapter and USB-C cable that is "compatible with HP Sectre 360".

Note:  90W is the rating on the AC adapter that came with my Spectre 15t having an Intel i7-8550U.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.