Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I recently purchased the HP Stream 13, and downloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade. Like you, I ran into a RAM problem, but I was able to circumvent it by plugging in a 16GB USB Drive. That did the trick! You see, the computer needs somewhere to store Windows 8.1 just in case you hate Windows 10. While I can't imagine anyone loving Windows 8.1 enough to revert back to it, Microsoft still wants you to have that option. Once the installation of Windows 10 is complete, you can unplug the USB Drive, and store it away. I'd recommend writing what is on it, just in case you're anything like me, and have a dozen or more of them floating around.

I really hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

@akwingnut wrote:

Associate Dean, With the HP Steam, How do we upgrade to Win10? I tried and it stated that it needs about 8.5gb of usable space inorder to make this upgrade. The unit comes with 32gb of eMMC which is not upgradeable. Is there a solution to installing Win10? Thanks for your Assistance

_AkWingnut

HP Recommended

I really wish there was a way to upgrade the RAM, as it stands, we HP Stream users will have to have our batteries professionally replaced...therefore I can't imagine that upgrading the memory capacity will be an option. Perhaps this is why it is such an affordable Notebook? :robotwink:

HP Recommended

I did so, I updated via USB to 16 gb, then I used Windows 10 a day to check that all was well, and it was activated, then I did the restoration and took away the chance to go back to Windows 8.1 but I have 17.5 giga free

HP Recommended

No you can use the micro-sd.
The card is not recognized dela bios.
And 'usable only by Windows drive with owners.
When Windows restarts after upgrading to Win 10, before departure he asks a storage memory.
This is because the card is not recognized, and the PC does not see it.
To update you have to follow a path other.

HP Recommended

Well....   I wil tell you, but you might not want to know.  I warn you, it might fail for you.  It might fail badly. 

First, Make a recover media.  Find and record your windows 8 key.  Belarc makes a tool to recover this, there is a lot of other free programs to get that key as well.   The key might be usefull.   Next, backup everything.   Next, test your recover media, it will wipe out your data (maybe) but you need to do the test.  Do a system reset with the recover media?  At least make sure it boots.  Remember, this update can break things!  You need to be sure that recovery flash drive works.  You need an 8 GB USB flash drive, HP has a tool to make the media.  

You need a few USB flash drivers. 

Download the windows 10 bootable media (if you make a DVD you will need a USB DVD player to use it so it is better to use another USB flash drive).  You can find the bootable media maker for windows 10 64b home edition on the internet. If you want cortana to work, get egnlish US vesion.    OK here is the hard part.  At this point you can make you SSD memory larger by deleting the recover paritition BUT WARNING YOU WILL NO BE ABLE TO BOOT AGAIN until you install windows 10 or use the recover media you made to reinstall windows 8.1.   I hate them for it, buy HP put important boot files in the recovery partitian, but why keep a windows 8.1 recover partition for you new windows 10 computer?  Every HP machine I have seen as a tool to recover this hardrive space, except this model with a tiny SSD.  This is your chance to get 8 more GB free.  If you delete the recover paritition, then expand the C: partition to capture all the newly freed memory.  Or leave the recovery partitian alone, but I'm not sure you do not need the space to get windows 10 on the machine, at least if you do not want to wipe everthing during the upgrade.

I will not explain how to change partitions. 

When you do the upgrade to 10, you can do a full (wipe) install or an upgrade.  You need space to do the upgrade but you can keep your intalled software.   I did that later, but I first I made sure there was 12+Gb of free space.  So I uninstalled an old copy of Office 10, and any big personal files.   I guessed that windows 10 installer would need extra space during the transition.    Full install would likely be easier, but I did not want to find all the software I wanted.  The wipe everything method of Windows 10 upgrade easier, it likley is.

Boot from the windows 10 installation media, and install the upgrade (or full install).

During the installtion of windows 10 you can enter your windows 8.1 key, but it did not ask for mine.  You might need another flash drive, I did.  Windows might ask for some extra room to swap files etc.   When you are done, you have Windows 10 and a little bit bigger drive.   As of 3/16 microsoft is still lettting you make windows 10 installation media that will require a major update.  So do not install your old files or software yet.  If it goes wrong, you can always use the restore media you made to go back. 

You have windows 10 now, but this big update is big trouble, it fails unless there is a lot of free space. Use the windows setting to get this update started.   It also takes a day.  Hopefully but the time you read this, the new build of windows is what the put on the installation media.   If not, get ready, this is super slow.   You need to have about 12Gb free C: drive space, and you will need the falsh drive for the extra space during the installation.  Go to the windows setting and dump temparary files and old version of windows files.  Use cceaner,  You will need the space, unless you do not want to ever upgrade windows 10.   Again dump the temp. files and old windows files (using setting menus in windows 10).  

This worked for me.  But the update to a newer build of windows 10 makes me wonder if it is worth it.   It is something like build 10586.  When the intallation media is a bigger build number, it will be so much eassier.  That updatge, took about an hour download on my faster computers and 15 minutes to install, the HP Stream was amazing slow, it got stock on 20% for 1 hour.  It finally took most of a day.  When and if microsoft has an installtion media for windows 10 that does not require an immediate major update, it will be much easier. 

(BTW do not try to use a flash memory card when windows asked for extra space during installation or upgrading, use a USB flash driver, the memory card reader does not working until windows has booted, so fails if the windows installation or upgrade is restarting the computer). 

What we learned 40Gb is enough for Windows, 32G with 8G used for a recovery partition you cannot safetly delete.  Not enough.  Woudl never buy this again. 

HP Recommended

On this HP notebook model, it is very tiring to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.
The SSD space is not sufficient for the required operations. You can not use an SD card, because it works only if Windows is started (meaningless crazy thing). We made it (on my niece's computer) precisely using a system similar to that described by DMHUEBER.
When finished I found myself with a C drive (SSD) of approximately 30 Gb and I also added a 64 Gb SD card. With Windows 10 installed on 32-bit, I did not put 64-bit RAM because I think it is insufficient.
Everything possible to memorize the card, which has become disk D.
So at that point the computer is a little more usable, although it was very cumbersome to do.
But there is a malfunction, file icons associated with programs such as Word or Excel are not displayed correctly. At this inconvenience I have not remedied.
As for the RAM, it should open the PC and monitor, but these are things that I will do at the end of the guarantee.

regards

HP Recommended
Exactky. Word and power point displays fne on mine, but the coatant updates in Windows are still irratating. Who knows when the next big one will come. Will we need 8Gb free and a spare USB flash drive? Should have waited to see if Windows 10 install media will catch up, and the big updates calm down. I might even go back. I actually made two copies of the restore.

HP Recommended

You cannot expand the memory on this. I just finished a chat with a technician. After he said he would put me in touch with a "higher authority" he disconnected me

HP Recommended

You cannot expand memory. Their tech just told me

HP Recommended

No, you cannot expand memory

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.