Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (58 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can the CPU be upgraded?

Product Name: HP g7-2235dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP G7-2235dx laptop. It currently has an AMD processor (AMD A8-4500M).  Can the processor be upgraded? If so, what AMD processor can it take?

Accepted Solution

Re: Can the CPU be upgraded?

@Joe2018

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer is -- not easily.  Processors in laptops are soldered to the system boards, not mounted in sockets as in desktops.  To replace the system board, you have to completely disassemble the laptop -- something that is very difficult to do and fraught with chances for errors.  If you have not done it, I strongly recommend against it.

Also, the only more powerful processor your laptop will take is the AMD A10-4600 which is 3.2GHz, as compared to your A8-4500 which is 2.8GHz -- very little improvement for a lot of money and a lot of work.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (37 Views)

Re: Can the CPU be upgraded?

@Joe2018

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer is -- not easily.  Processors in laptops are soldered to the system boards, not mounted in sockets as in desktops.  To replace the system board, you have to completely disassemble the laptop -- something that is very difficult to do and fraught with chances for errors.  If you have not done it, I strongly recommend against it.

Also, the only more powerful processor your laptop will take is the AMD A10-4600 which is 3.2GHz, as compared to your A8-4500 which is 2.8GHz -- very little improvement for a lot of money and a lot of work.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation