Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP g7-2235dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP G7-2235dx laptop. It currently has an AMD processor (AMD A8-4500M).  Can the processor be upgraded? If so, what AMD processor can it take?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Joe2018

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer is -- not easily.  Processors in laptops are soldered to the system boards, not mounted in sockets as in desktops.  To replace the system board, you have to completely disassemble the laptop -- something that is very difficult to do and fraught with chances for errors.  If you have not done it, I strongly recommend against it.

Also, the only more powerful processor your laptop will take is the AMD A10-4600 which is 3.2GHz, as compared to your A8-4500 which is 2.8GHz -- very little improvement for a lot of money and a lot of work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Joe2018

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer is -- not easily.  Processors in laptops are soldered to the system boards, not mounted in sockets as in desktops.  To replace the system board, you have to completely disassemble the laptop -- something that is very difficult to do and fraught with chances for errors.  If you have not done it, I strongly recommend against it.

Also, the only more powerful processor your laptop will take is the AMD A10-4600 which is 3.2GHz, as compared to your A8-4500 which is 2.8GHz -- very little improvement for a lot of money and a lot of work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.