Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e112dx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am trying to get my capslock key to work. I am using Windows 8.1. I have tried uninstalling device drivers, performing a hard restart, and checked ease of access. What's strange is it works when I enable the "on screen keyboard". I can turn it on, and it lights up, and works fine. 

I am unable to manually press the caps lock key though.

It began after leaving my computer on for some time, and I went to log in, and there was MAJOR delay in typing my password in. I finally logged in, and again, major delay when typing in a web URL. After that, I noticed my caps lock key was stuck ON, and restarted the computer. Now it's stuck 

I ran a hardware test by pressing F2 while restarting the computer. It's a built-in function with HP laptops. I was able to test every key, except the Capslock key. What's strange is when I depress the keys H + N, or G + B at the same time, it toggles the capslock on and off. I'm quite sure there is no dirt or debris under the keys. I'm afraid it could be a wiring issue? Could my computer have been affected by something malicious? Could registry entries have been tampered with? I could remap the key perhaps...Very strange to me. I have some computer certifications, and can't figure this out for the life of me. I'd like to manually reinstall my keyboard drivers, but am unsure which driver to replace. I have 2 listed under keyboards, one is PS/2 keyboard, other is HID keyboard device. Also, on HP's website, I find no keyboard drivers listed under my specific laptop model...The laptop is out-of-warranty, so taking it in for service is probably a bad idea...

Any help would be appreciated! I'm quite sure it's a software issue, and not a hardware issue, as the capslock key can be enabled and disabled using the On-screen keyboard, though not certain because depressing certain keys toggles the capslock on and off.... 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Swyftfingers

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the caps lock key is not working on your computer.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to uninstall the keyboard drivers (both PS2 and HID) and restart your computer. Check if the caps lock key is working after the restart.

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the below document.

http://hp.care/2cdfAp3

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried al those steps. Also, I've found the keys next to capslock are acting funny. I am able to use the keys, "S" and "D" individually, but not together. Holding them down at the same time does nothing. Would removing the keyboard and reconnecting it do anything? Or should I just purchase a new keyboard online and install it?

Tried uninstaling drivers, and I've tried everything in that link. =(

HP Recommended

Hi @Swyftfingers

Thank you for posting back.

I recommend you to run a test on the keyboard just to make sure that it is not a hardware issue.

Follow steps in the below document to run the test.

http://hp.care/2bOrqZQ

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Which test should I run? If it's the hardware-keyboard test, I've done that one already. All the keys work except the capslock key. Also, A+S work individually, but not together.

Something I else I noticed...when I am rebooting the computer, the capslock key works!! When the HP logo appears, and it loads for ~5-10 seconds, I again lose function of the capslock key.

It makes me think this is somehow software related.

Very peculiar. I don't know if there's a problem in the registry, or perhaps updating my BIOS a couple of weeks ago is the culprit or what...I can't find any keyboard drivers on the HP site for my specific laptop either, which doesn't help.

Wish I could just get the thing working again..

HP Recommended

@Swyftfingers

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

According to what you've mentioned, If the capslock key works outside windows and not within it, it's definitely a software issue and you're right about the BIOS being the culprit as well, here's what I suggest we do:

First, perform a bios recovery to rollback to last known and working BIOS: Click here (carefully, follow each and every step).

Second, Let's attempt a system restore to revert all settings to the last known working date: Click here for details,

Third, Keep me posted as normally the above should do the trick.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my caps lock key is not working

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.