Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

As stated above,

Can I upgrade my CPU or is it soldered onto the motherboard? If can upgrade, may I know what are the components that are compatible to this old laptop?

Thanks.

My laptop stats:

Compaq 6715b

Windows  Vista SP 1 (Unable to install SP2 unless I reformat the whole laptop which I have no intention to)

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00GHz (now you can see why I want to upgrade my CPU)

System type: 32-bit OS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

My recommendation is to get a used but working one on a place like eBay.  That is where I get mine from.

You cannot install any other processor other than the ones listed in the service manual.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can upgrade your processor.

Here is the link to your service manual which will give you the list of supported processors and how to change one out. See chapter 4.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01570696/c01570696.pdf

Paul

HP Recommended

I've seen the pdf and searched for the processors required. But most shops that I've checked do not carry these processors anymore.

Is the newer ones compatible with my laptop?

HP Recommended

Hi:

My recommendation is to get a used but working one on a place like eBay.  That is where I get mine from.

You cannot install any other processor other than the ones listed in the service manual.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got the same 6715b laptop that you talk about and also want to upgrade the processor, the link in the above post no longer works, could you tell me which processors I need to look at for an upgrade?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears that HP updated the service manual, which is why the link to the one I posted didn't work.

Here is the link to the latest service manual for your notebook:  Supported processors are listed in Chapter 1 on page 1.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02834030/c02834030.pdf

Paul

HP Recommended

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02834030/c02834030.pdf

Would i be able to use the Intel Core Duo T7700 2.4-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache) on 6715b or is that only supported by 6710b?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The 6715b uses the AMD chipset and processor. No Intel processor will work in a 6715b.

Below is the list of AMD processors supported in the 6715b.

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-66 (2.3-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-64 (2.2-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-62 (2.1-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52 (1.6-GHz, 2 x 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (1.6-GHz, 2 x 256-KB L2 cache)
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Processor MK-38 (2.2-GHz, 512-KB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs TK-53 (1.7-GHz, 2 x 256-KB L2 cache)
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 4000+ (2.2-GHz, 512-MB L2 cache)
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3800+ (2.2-GHz, 256-KB L2 cache)
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ (2.0-GHz, 256-KB L2 cache)
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3500+ (1.8-GHz, 512-KB L2 cache)
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3400+ (1.8-GHz, 256-KB L2 cache)

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

I also have an HP Compaq 6715b.

My question is: Would the TL-68 (2.4GHz) work in the 6715b? All of the specs are comparable with compatible processors, so I would think so?

And then another question, would there be any sense in putting in 4gigs of PC2-6400 RAM (ie the 800MHz RAM)?

Thanks for any help!

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't always use that line of thinking because of the possibility that the BIOS will not allow the processor to work--even though it is the same in all respects, except for speed.

Below is a link to the BIOS update release notes. There was a processor microcode update in F.07.

Unfortunately it does not state what that microcode update does (normally they add support for newer processors).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

I would max out the memory in any notebook given the opportunity, and with your specific model, the PC2-6400 speed.  I wouldn't be suprised if HP installed PC2-5300 memory in there.

You will want 4 GB installed should you decide to go with a 64 bit OS.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.